Old Mutual Limited (OML) is a premium African financial services group that offers a broad spectrum of financial solutions to retail and corporate customers across key markets in 14 countries.
Purpose of the Job
The Senior Application Manager will lead the creation and implementation of the business applications management approach to ensure business and operating needs are met. Collaboration with the Head to define, develop and lead the implementation of the technical services strategy.
Critical objectives and responsibilities:
- Define and implement a fit for purpose operating model and resource allocation for the department, including prioritization and staff deployment based on changing priorities.
- Provide strategic direction, guidance, and recommendations to address a wide range of business and technology needs and support the implementation of agreed solutions.
- In collaboration with architecture define and lead the implementation of critical applications in line with the technology roadmap, to maintain related hardware & software and reduce operational risk from out-of-support infrastructure.
- Collaborate with other IT teams to manage and support business software solutions.
- Define and develop processes and policies to manage application and data security addressing internal and external threats.
- Identify and lead the implementation of process improvements to optimize systems quality and availability.
- Define and lead the implementation of solutions or methodologies to resolve program errors.
- Actively seek to improve assigned applications, and automate and streamline processes.
- Develop appropriate disaster recovery plans for critical business systems, including working with infrastructure and business teams to produce and sustain practical solutions.
- Promote and oversee strategic relationships between internal IT team, business stakeholders, external entities, vendors, and partner organizations.
- Manage processes and functionality of assigned applications to meet internal service level agreements.
- Oversee the management of day-to-day aspects of all business applications, including support, troubleshooting, continuous improvement, development, upgrades, and enhancements.
Continuous improvement to ensure effective service
- Ensure statutory and legislative knowledge is always current in order to resolve customer complaints, to advise the business on corrective solutions to mitigate risks and to improve the customer experience whilst complying with governance requirements.
- Ensure adherence to organisational policies, practices and procedures.
- Identify solutions to enhance cost effectiveness and increase operational efficiency.
Service delivery to ensure customer satisfaction
- Attend the required business Manco meetings to ensure that all operational issues are addressed and also promote current initiatives within IT.
- Review the service and business catalogues to ensure that all IT services are noted and updated.
- Maintain service, quality and desired outputs across the business process by ensuring compliance to tactical policies, procedures and standards.
- Establish productive operational relationships with key stakeholders in the various channels and development teams.
- Develop work routines in line with operational plans / schedules in order to manage achievement of service delivery goals.
- Share knowledge on, and participate in the creation of new standards, control systems and procedures to maintain service delivery.
Ensure cost efficiency through financial and corporate governance
- Contribute to the development and implementation of fit for purpose budgets.
- Manage supplier relationships, and budgets associated with projects.
- Assist to Formulate and draft the required business cases contributing to the replacement/implementation of essential IT Infrastructure/services.
- Manage staff related costs (salaries, standby, overtime). Where required, suggest the amendment of staff policies to ensure that costs are effectively managed.
Drive change methodology and ensure implementation across all projects
- Responsible for influencing and implementing change management strategies and plans that maximize user adoption and proficiency and minimize resistance by increasing benefit realization, value creation, ROI and the achievement of business results and outcomes.
- Ensures direct support and coaching to all users is available during transition periods.
Manage quality people practices
- Align own behaviour with the organisation culture and values.
- Share and transfer product, process and systems knowledge to colleagues.
- Collaborate and work with the business and IT teams to deliver required service levels.
- Actively share information with other team members regarding successes, issues, trends and ideas.
Education & certification
- Bachelor’s degree in Information Technology.
- ITIL certification. Knowledge of COBIT and ITIL is essential.
Experience, knowledge & skills required
- 8 – 10 years’ experience in IT application implementation and support within the Insurance industry.
- 5 – 8 years’ experience in leading an IT team.
- Strategic: Is able to understand, identify and acts on broader opportunities in order to drive longer term, value-adding change. Applies judgement effectively. Identifies and acts on market and/or competitor trends/opportunities
- Customer: Putting the customer at the heart of business decisions and driving to improve value for customers.
- Collaboration: Creates trust, respect and builds meaningful relationships. Able to handle a wide range of relational challenges to ensure collaboration across boundaries.
- Leading with Influence: Influences and rallies people behind common goals; actively supports growth and inspires others to exceed expectations. Communicates clear strategies and objectives for own function.
- Innovation: Generates creative/out of the box solutions. Challenges the status quo and/or demonstrates ability to relate to challenges from a range of diverse but relevant perspectives. Willing to take calculated risks when introducing novel ideas
- Personal Mastery: Learns and actively works to build self-awareness; develop through experience and feedback from others. Copes effectively with stress and has the resilience to take on stretching and challenging assignments. Adjusts effectively to work within new work structures; processes; requirements and cultures.
- Executing: Displays consistent energy, drive and perseverance in order to deliver results. Demonstrates a willingness to take calculated risks to achieve stretch performance goals.
Shortlisted candidates will be subjected to the following statutory checks: