Company Secretary and Legal Adviser at Mediclinic
Posted on: 18 December, 2017
Deadline: 17 January, 2018
View Jobs in Healthcare
View All Jobs at Mediclinic
Mediclinic Southern Africa is a private hospital group operating in South Africa and Namibia focused on providing acute care, specialist-orientated, multi-disciplinary hospital services and related service offerings. We place science at the heart of our care process by striving to provide evidence-based care of the highest standard. The group currently operates 49 private hospitals (including two day clinics) throughout South Africa and three hospitals in Namibia with more than 8 000 beds in total.
Mediclinic Southern Africa is a wholly owned subsidiary of the international private healthcare group Mediclinic International PLC, listed on the LSE (London Stock Exchange) with a secondary listing on the JSE (Johannesburg Stock Exchange) and the NSX (Namibian Stock Exchange).
Mediclinic International currently has three operating divisions - Mediclinic Southern Africa which operates 49 private hospitals and two day clinics throughout South Africa and Namibia; Hirslanden operates 17 private acute care facilities and four clinics in Switzerland with more than 1 700 inpatient beds and Mediclinic Middle East which operates six hospitals and 23 clinics with more than 700 inpatient beds in the United Arab Emirates.
The group also holds a minority interest of 29.9% in Spire Healthcare Group PLC, a leading private hospital group in the United Kingdom and also listed on the LSE.
The role is within the Group Company Secretarial and Legal department of Mediclinic International plc (listed on the LSE and JSE) in respect of Mediclinic International and certain local and foreign subsidiaries. Duties include to support the Group General Manager: Company Secretarial and Legal of Mediclinic International with the following:
- In-house legal advisory, which includes inter alia: the drafting and vetting of agreements (mainly corporate and commercial in nature - no medico legal matters are attended to by the department); liaising with external legal council on major M&A activities; contract management.
- Ensure compliance with and review of applicable laws, regulations, guidelines and company policies (e.g. UK and SA Companies Act, LSE Listing Rules, JSE Listings Requirements, UK Corporate Governance Code, King IV) and communication of amendments or new legislation to relevant departments.
- Maintain the department’s risk and compliance registers.
- Maintain the statutory and other company secretarial records of various local and foreign subsidiaries of Mediclinic International, and where required, filing with relevant regulator, such as CIPC (Companies and Intellectual Property Commission).
- Oversee management of various Board, Board Committee, Management Committee and shareholder meetings and ensuring that minutes of meetings are properly recorded in accordance with relevant legal requirements and Company standards.
- Prepare and/or update company and group policies with regards to corporate governance and secretarial services.
- Support and advice is provided with regards to the implementation and administration of employee share schemes, as may be required.
- Trust documents are administered and compliance with trust laws ensured.
- Shareholder communication
- Support is provided with regards to the preparation, administration and circulation of
- shareholder communication of Mediclinic International (including regulatory notices, the annual report, Sustainable Development Report, Corporate Governance Report) and other subsidiaries.
- Preparation of sustainability / corporate responsibility reports in line with best practice and adopted standards, e.g. GRI Standards.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified? Go to Mediclinic career website on mediclinic.erecruit.co.za to apply
❮ Back to All Jobs