Problem Analyst at Discovery Limited
Posted on: 15 February, 2018
Deadline: Not Specified
View Jobs in Banking/Financial Services
View All Jobs at Discovery Limited
As global thought leaders and a proudly South African company, we are passionate about innovating and leveraging our assets and scale to ignite meaningful change that adds value to our society and stakeholders. We provide innovative and unique financial services and assurance products that integrate with our trend-setting wellness programme, Vitality.
About TI Problem Management
The TI Problem Management teams function is to identify and determine the root cause of underlying incidents and problems pertaining to the organisations infrastructure systems and to prevent them from reoccurring. We are also responsible for ensuring the correct level of attention is given to high impacting infrastructure incidents that is impacting or can impact the business dependent systems.
The Problem Analysts role will be to identify, investigate and address high ticket volumes that impact business services. They will be required to drive resolution of the underlying problem or major incident and determine the root cause. They will need to build in efficiencies to lessen the impact to business and supporting teams. This will also include ensuring resolutions are applied that adhere to control procedures, change and release management. They will be required to capture and manage all problems within a Service Tool ensuring complete visibility of problems as well as report back on a regular basis to management on high priority items that require escalation and traction. Active involvement and facilitation of Major Incidents will be required on a daily basis ensuring high impacting Infrastructure system related issues are dealt with swiftly.
Areas of responsibility may include but not limited
- Log problems on the problem register, determine the impact of a problem (severity, frequency and cost) and prioritise accordingly.
- Track and indicate changes in the data based on proposed and in place solutions as well escalate accordingly where the impact is not reducing or worsening to increase the priority and awareness.
- Root Cause Analysis:
- Determine the absolute cause of the problem by various means, including, but not limited to:
- Recreating the issues in a test environment, reviewing system design, asking relevant questions to stakeholders and uncovering process and technical failures.
- Problem Solution:
- Identify interim and long term solutions, taking into account cost effectiveness & ease of implementation.
- Review a business/technical specification prior to development and identify any potential problems that could be created with the proposed solution. Identify any missed requirements that would lead to future problems.
- Ensure the business impact is lessened and not worsened by solutions.
- Problem Report:
- Document and present the Problem Reports related to identified problems to the Senior Analyst and Problem Manager.
- Provide assessments of risks, impacts, severity, possible alternative solutions, status of investigation and recommendations.
- Produce reports per team (monthly) giving an area-specific analysis of all problems. Report, track and present feedback to stakeholders on a regular basis.
- Escalate issues where necessary that are not getting the right level of airtime or attention.
- Guidelines, standards and Reference Examples:
- Participate in internal forums such as Support Services Work Group and lead workstreams, to contribute to the methodology and standards.
- Ensure that knowledge acquired in the workaround or resolution of the problem process is shared within the larger Support community.
- Major Incident Management
- Provide assistance with the management and remediation of Technology Infrastructure Major Incidents by collaborating with various teams to attend to the issue within a predetermined SLA.
- Consistently update all stakeholders on the status of the investigations for Major Incidents within a predetermined SLA.
- Conduct post mortem investigations and produce RCA reports for affected stakeholders and their respective companies.
Personal Attributes and Skills
- Problem Management, Familiar with all implemented ITIL processes
- Technologies - Familiar with infrastructure services and support
- Other - Familiar with business organisation and services.
- Technical Skills - Statistical analysis and reporting, Problem solving, Root Cause Analysis, Technical Report writing
- Behavioural Skills - Tenacity. Stress Management, Persuasion
- Excellent verbal and business writing communication skills
- Appropriately follows instructions
- Works productively and independently in a high-pressure environment
- Upholds ethics and values
Education and Experience
- ITIL Foundation certified
- 1 years experience in problem management
- 2 years experience in an IT service role
- ITIL Services exam passed. Kepner & Tregoe Root Cause Analysis Framework certified
- ITIL OSA, other Computer and Technical qualifications and experience in problem solving
- Business writing certification
Preference will be given to applicants from designated groups and suitable internal candidates in line with Discovery’s policies.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified? Go to Discovery Limited career website on career2.successfactors.eu to apply
❮ Back to All Jobs