The Road Accident Fund is a state insurer established by statute, it provides insurance cover to all drivers of motor vehicles in South Africa in respect of liability incurred or damage caused as a result of a traffic collision. Liability incurred in relation to property damage (such as damage to vehicles, buildings, vehicle contents) is excluded from cover. The Road Accident Fund operates a system whereby the claimant is assigned a percentage of responsibility for the accident, and the Road Accident Fund pays the claimant a percentage of a full settlement based on a percentage that was not deemed to be their responsibility.
Purpose of the Job: Reporting to the General Manager: Legal, Compliance and Regulation, the successful candidate will be accountable for providing management and technical leadership to the Legal Advice, Litigation and contracts section in line with the strategic objectives of the organisation as determined by the Board of the RAF.
Key Performance Areas
- Manage all financial matters of the Legal Advice, Litigation and Contracts section of the Department of Legal and Compliance in accordance with relevant legislation and policies.
- Ensure that the Legal Advice, Regulation and Contracts section of the Department of Legal and Compliance activities are aligned to the approved RAF strategy and implementing controls required to drive and manage performance.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationship with internal and external stakeholders to promote RAF image.
- Provide leadership to direct report in the pursuit of performance objectives.
- Manage, monitor and report on legal advice provided by the Legal Advice section.
- Instruct Attorney to counsel on legal option.
- Institute and defend litigation actions for and against the RAF.
- Monitor and advice on various RAF litigation approach and strategy.
- Reduce litigated matters and litigation costs.
- Manage the litigation risk of the RAF.
- Prepare Briefing notes for the CEO, Board and Minister of Transport.
- Manage, monitor and report on contracts and other agreements drafted/ vetted by the contract section.
- Participate in Procurement Committee of the RAF.
- Negotiate, draft/ vet memorandums of understanding and other agreements.
Qualifications and Experience
- LLB Degree.
- An admitted Attorney or Advocate.
- A post graduate qualification in Management or Contracts and Litigation Management will be advantageous.
- Relevant 8 - 10 years’ experience in Corporate Legal environment of which five (5) years must have been on management level.
- Proven Contracts Drafting and negotiation experience.
- Thorough knowledge of MVA law.
Technical and behavioral competencies required
- Knowledge of PAIA, PAJA, ECTA and other relevant legislation.
- Knowledge of Contract and Administrative law.
- Extensive knowledge of legislation applicable to public entities.
- Networking and Collaboration skills.
- Strategic capability and leadership skills.
- Business and financial acumen.
- Resource management skills.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified? Go to Road Accident Fund career website on www.raf.co.za to apply