We are the Enel Group business dedicated to the development and management of energy production from renewable sources worldwide. We have an energy generation mix that includes wind, solar, hydroelectric, geothermal and biomass. We are active in 29 countries with over 1,200 plants. We work worldwide with a sustainable business model that generates value not only for the company but also for the communities where we work. We are constantly engaged in new projects and new technological challenges in order to innovate in the fields of research and production of electrical energy from renewable sources. Our goal is ambitious: to work with a business model that combines competitiveness and sustainability, while respecting both people and the environment. We believe that renewable sources are an important tool to promote the competitiveness of the production systems of various countries and to guarantee the security of the energy supply. The widespread production of power from water, the sun, wind and heat from the earth contributes to greater energy independence for the countries, and at the same time supports the protection of the environment.
We are looking for a dynamic and adaptable Legal Advisor to join our team in Johannesburg. The successful candidate must have an in-depth understanding & knowledge of the Renewable Energy Law/space and possess knowledge and practice of Project Financing. The Legal Counsel is responsible for internal & external legal services and for legal support on all activities within the organization.
The following are the main duties & responsibilities of the Legal Counsel:
- To provide assistance to the Head of Legal & Corporate Affairs on legal and corporate secretarial matters relating to the Company.
- Be involved in providing advice and supporting all legal activities in the life cycle of the projects undertaken by the organisation, which includes, development, construction and operation of renewable energy projects in Africa. Various legal activities will be carried out in order to fulfil this role, for example: due diligence, tender interpretation and support, negotiation of term sheets, development agreements and corporate, finance and construction agreements. The candidate should be familiar with the typical legal issues, concepts and processes in relation to activities.
- To support the day-to day legal needs of all the functional units of the organisation. The organisation has a number of functional units operating in different areas of law, so the candidate should have a sound understanding of various legal matters.
- To support the corporate affairs division, by maintaining all legal records of the company and its subsidiaries in accordance with law and internal requirements. This includes ensuring that the organisation and its subsidiaries comply with internal delegations of authority; all corporate acts performed by the organisation and its subsidiaries are in accordance with the procedures required by the Companies Act; the appropriate resolutions are passed by the organisation and its subsidiaries and the organisation’s and subsidiaries corporate records are appropriately filed and maintained.
- Attend to ad-hoc instructions relating to the legal department, provide primary support in relation to administrative matters pertinent to the legal department, including any litigation matters that may arise.
- Maintain and update the internal records of projects and activities undertaken by the organisation and its subsidiaries and be able to provide feedback / reports to the organisations Group as and when required
- Liaise with external advisors, service providers, consultants, and agents appointed to assist in implementing the objectives of the organisation.
- Stay up to date with applicable industry matters in relation to the organisations project activities.
Education & Experience
- LLB Degree
- Qualified attorney
- A minimum of 5-8 years post articles commercial/transactional legal experience obtained within the energy or infrustructure team of a law firm OR a corporate involved in energy and infrastructure OR the energy or infrastructure department of a financial institution.
- A minimum of 3-4 years work experience with project financing within the energy or infrastructure environment;
- Renewable energy experience is preferable
- International experience is advantageous
- Must be highly computer competent
- Must be available for travel from time to time
- Possess strong interpersonal skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication of the English Language
PLEASE ATTACH CV
Please note if you have not heard back from us within a month of applying, please consider your application unsuccessful.
* The role is in line with EGPRSA's EE requirements
Method of Application
Interested and qualified? Go to Enel Energy career website on www.linkedin.com to apply