Climate Change Consultant
IBIS Consulting is a premier emerging market sustainability consultancy that assists private and public companies unlock value and improve their environmental and social performance. IBIS was established in 2015 and since that time have:
- Established permanent offices in South Africa, Kenya, Singapore and France with ~45 professional staff
- Undertaken over 250 projects in the last 12 months for DFI, Private Equity, Impact Investor, Banking and other multinational clients
- Conducted on-site project work in >60 countries in Africa, Asia, the Middle East, Europe and the Americas
Due to our continued growth we are looking for a full-time Senior or Principal Climate Change Consultant who is passionate about joining a dynamic, thriving and growing organisation.
The candidate is ideally based in Johannesburg or Cape Town, South Africa but we will consider applications from the right candidate located in other geographies, primarily Kenya, Singapore, UK and France.
In this role, you will be working with Financial Institutions and Multinational Corporates in emerging markets, many of them at the forefront of embedding climate change in their day- to-day approach to business. We are searching for an exceptional individual who has technical and management experience in:
- Greenhouse gas reporting
- Greenhouse gas data verification
- Carbon offsets
- Climate change risk assessment and scenario analysis
- Climate change strategy and TCFD
- Resource efficiency
- Physical climate change risk and adaptation
- Be responsible for leading and managing climate change projects in emerging markets.
- Be able to manage teams including coaching and mentoring junior staff.
- Have an existing market presence and network.
- Have a reputation for delivering outstanding quality.
- Always be looking for better, more efficient, ways of doing things.
- Build and maintain relationships with Client and other industry players.
- A solid track record of leading medium, large and complex climate change projects in emerging markets across a wide range of sectors with direct experience in relevant energy and climate change standards such as the GHG Protocol and IPCC, ISO14064, TCFD, ISO50001 etc.
- An excellent grasp of the English language (including writing). A second language of relevance to the geographies in which we operate would also be viewed favourably.
- An excellent attention to detail and a focus on high quality outputs.
- Be able to analyse and interpret technical information to understand and articulate the potential risks and commercial consequences and be able to propose pragmatic recommendations.
- An ability to translate and communicate complex and technical ideas in a simple and engaging way.
- Be entrepreneurial with an ability to spot and to turn larger market trends into opportunities for clients and IBIS.
- Skills to supervise project team(s), coach and mentor junior staff.
- Excellent people skills, being able to engage and foster relationships across geographies and cultures.
- Be passionate about sustainability, risk management and maximising opportunities.
- Tenacity and focus and be a self-learner.
- Experience in Sustainable Finance, specifically working with DFIs, private equity and banks
- Direct on-site experience in resource efficiency including identifying and quantifying energy and carbon reduction opportunities
- Experience in broader sustainability / ESG work including strategy, reporting and assurance an advantage
Qualifications and Experience:
- A minimum of 7 to 15 years’ practical experience delivering climate change projects within business
- Consulting experience essential
- Educated to at least a post graduate level in a scientific, engineering or business field combined with a high level of practical ability and experience
- Proficient in English essential
And in return we offer a competitive salary, career progression and an opportunity to be part of a people-focused growing organisation. If this sounds like you, please get in touch with us. Applicants must provide a one-page cover letter explaining why they believe they are suited to the role along with a brief CV. Regret that unsuccessful candidates will not be contacted