Shaw Academy is the largest live experience online educator in the world, making the highest quality, practical education accessible to all. Our focus is on live education because it is interactive, engaging, always evolving and most importantly, better for learning. A Shaw Academy education empowers those seeking employment or those looking to further th...
Read more about this company
Electrical Engineering Educator
Shaw Academy, a global and leading ed-tech company, is seeking an experienced Electrical Engineering Lecturer to join our rapidly expanding technology faculty. The ideal candidate will have a recognised degree in electrical engineering and will have 5 years experience from either an educational or industry perspective. You will have demonstrable knowledge of the following:
- Electrical engineering prowess
- Programming skills and languages - C/C++, Python, Java, Matlab
- Electrical / PCB design software - Cadence/OrCAD, Microstation, AutoCAD, P Spice, LT Spice, Revit
- Knowledge of different electrical codes that may be applicable to global students
- Prototyping and testing circuits and electronic component
- An excellent ability to communicate the lesson content with authority, while entertaining the students
- with anecdotes and context that will make the lesson interactive and content that comes alive.
- Have excellent computer skills – particularly with the use of Microsoft Powerpoint and G Suite.
You will be inspired by the opportunity to curate a course that will enable a new generation of students to pursue new or evolved careers in this industry. You will be an enthusiastic presenter and have an ability to communicate your subject matter expertise to create top quality content for every lesson (+- 32 lessons). This role is a full-time, permanent position based in our Cape Town office.
Noteworthy soft skills that will benefit you in this role:
- High energy, passion and the ability to take initiative and work independently.
- Be flexible and open to change.
- Open to critical feedback and work well under pressure.
- The ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously and prioritise accordingly.
A typical day in the life of an educator at Shaw Academy
- Your day kicks off with a quick stand up team meeting. This covers general company updates and positive recognition from your team leader, work updates as well as anything that the team would like to flag/escalate or resolve.
- Following the meeting, you prioritise your day based on some of these activities
- you have received feedback from the Quality Assurance team about your content for a lesson that you are currently preparing,
- received a designed lesson back from the graphic design team which is ready for recording
- you need to give feedback to the video editor about some changes to a previous lesson that is almost ready for finalisation.
- On prioritising your work for the day, you provide the feedback to the video editor, finalise your script for your designed lesson and then head off to the recording studio to record your lesson.
- You take your newly recorded lesson, apply your editing skills, and remove any of the major ‘bloopers’ and prepare the brief for the video editor to do the final production processes.
- You move onto the feedback from the QA team and apply the changes to your next lesson content, research some additional content and prepare the powerpoint for the design team to go and apply their magic to.
- You stop for a coffee and engage with your work colleagues at some point during the day – you are not a machine!
- You move onto working with customer services to provide students with feedback on any content related course queries, send an update to the marketing team about some bonus content that you would like sent to the students following completion of a certain lesson and check the live site for you any problems with your recently published content (lesson, quizzes, assignments, summary notes etc)
- You round off the day by reviewing your course metrics and course performance, and wrap up with your daily reports.
If this day ticks your boxes for working on a topic that you are passionate about, then we look forward to receiving your application!
What we’ll provide
- A market related salary with a monthly incentive bonus for hitting your targets.
- A dynamic and engaging work environment and team.
- Access to our full range of educational courses.
- A once in a lifetime opportunity to change the world of education forever by joining our rapidly expanding technology-based firm with a foundation of real talent, and work with real innovators whilst achieving your own goals.
Our recruitment process
- Should your application be shortlisted, following an initial interview with our talent acquisition team, you will be requested to complete a task as part of the application process.
- The task details will be sent to you at the appropriate time and will require you to submit a body of work demonstrating your skill and ability to present a demo lesson. It really is an opportunity to shine, demonstrate your ability to curate engaging content and show us what you can bring to the role.
- Following the review of the task, you may be selected to go through a series of interviews prior to finally moving onto job offer.
This process ensures that we have the best of the best and an amazing team that brings their A game to the company!
Feel free to contact the recruitment team directly should you have any queries about the role prior to submitting your application.