Subscribe to Job Alert
Join our happy subscribers
About the job
WFP seeks candidates of the highest integrity and professionalism who share our humanitarian principles.
Selection of staff is made on a competitive basis, and we are committed to promoting diversity and gender balance.
The United Nations World Food Programme is the world's largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to end global hunger. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need.
In emergencies, WFP gets food to where it is needed, saving the lives of victims of war, civil conflict and natural disasters. After an emergency, WFP uses food to help communities rebuild their shattered lives. Present in nearly 80 countries, the organization has the global footprint, deep field presence and local knowledge and relationships necessary to provide access to nutritious food and contribute to the lasting solutions, especially in many of the world’s most remote and fragile areas. We manage an operating budget of approximately $5.9 billion each year, distributing 12.6 billion rations to those most in need. We reach an average of 80 million people with food assistance in around 80 countries each year. The World Food Programme office in Johannesburg is a Regional Office coordinating and supporting the delivery of humanitarian assistance to 11 Southern Africa countries including, Mozambique, Zimbabwe, Zambia, Namibia, Lesotho, Eswatini, Botswana, Malawi, Madagascar, Democratic Republic of Congo, Congo Brazaville.
For more on WFP and what we do, please go to http://www.wfp.org/videos/zero-hunger
To provide specialized support functions and/or supervise staff performing standard logistics/supply chain processes and activities to enable effective delivery of goods and services for all delivery modalities.
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES (not all-inclusive)
1. Identification of Purchase Order (PO) requirements specifically for port services by gathering appropriate information from various sources and reports. Identify all services required for each consignment, correct contract and appropriate vendor.
2. Request and manage Fund Reservations (FR) for PO creation and pro-actively report to management and Country Office on status and consumption where applicable to ensure continuous availability of funds for logistics activities. Align logistics activity planning with FR requirements in conjunction with rest of operations team
3. Create PO as per service requirements and in accordance with WFP financial guidelines. Ensuring all technical aspects of PO creation are adhered to.
4. Keep track and record of PO documentation flow and pro-actively follow-up where required to avoid delayed PO readiness
5. Oversee the maintenance and integrity of the PO tracking tool and report on outstanding or delayed POs. Take initiative to resolve any problems related to outstanding POs
6. Monitoring PO consumption and balances and liaise with operations team to ensure POs are valid and avoid aging open items, minimising audit risks to the organisation
7. Designing and maintaining an efficient procedure to ensure services rendered are recorded in PO (Service Entry Sheet) as appropriate
8. Monitoring open items and pro-actively follow-up with vendors, invoice team, finance team and operations team to close items where required – minimising audit risk for WFP
9. Support CO to prepare for year-end closure and project closure and ensure PO and FR consumptions are complete and all transactions are completed in time
10. Take initiative to resolve any technical problems and timeously respond to queries from CO
11. Adhere to deadlines for PO creation, PO validation, year-end requirements and project closure as per IPSAS requirements
12. Escalate and report to management any problems that may pose financial or audit risk to WFP
13. Technical Support to CO and training/guidance of staff if required
14. Gather data from various sources to support management to draft budget for Cost Share MOU
15. Draft and update SOPs for PO management where needed
16. Review vendor invoices against awarded contracts and POs created
17. Support Operations where needed with Request for Quotations and Logistics Transport Committee preparations
18. Any other duties as required
4Ps CORE ORGANISATIONAL CAPABILITIES
Understand and communicate the Strategic Objectives: Coaches team in the most effective ways to communicate WFP’s Strategic Objectives to WFP team and partners in the field.
Be a force for positive change: Implements new methods or tools to improve team’s work processes and productivity.
Make the mission inspiring to our team: Maps team’s activities and tasks to specific successes in beneficiary communities to showcase positive impact.
Make our mission visible in everyday actions: Explains to teammates how each unit contributes to the overall WFP mission.
Look for ways to strengthen people's skills: Identifies skill development opportunities such as training modules or on-the-job experiences for self, colleagues, and direct reports.
Create an inclusive culture: Facilitates team-building activities to build rapport in own unit.
Be a coach & provide constructive feedback: Facilitates the pairing of junior colleagues with coaches within own team.
Create an “I will”/”We will” spirit: Proactively anticipates potential challenges and develops mitigation plans to ensure that team meets goals and targets.
Encourage innovation & creative solutions: Identifies opportunities to be creative in own work and to help the team be more innovative and accurate in their respective tasks and areas of work.
Focus on getting results: Monitors team’s deliverables and provides feedback to ensure outcomes are delivered consistently and accurately.
Make commitments and make good on commitments: Provides accurate guidance to team on expected responsibilities and tasks, whilst also upholding own commitment to the team.
Be Decisive: Sets an example and provides guidance to junior team members on when to escalate issues when faced with challenging issues in the workplace or in the field.
Connect and share across WFP units: Facilitates partnerships with other WFP units to accomplish missions in the field.
Build strong external partnerships: Sets an example and provides guidance to team on how to build relationships with external partners.
Be politically agile & adaptable: Articulates to colleagues or direct reports the value of contributing to other WFP teams and agency partnerships in fulfilling WFP’s goals and objectives.
Be clear about the value WFP brings to partnerships: Organizes, monitors, and prioritizes own and team’s efforts to ensure that they will fulfill the needs of internal and external partners.
STANDARD MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
Education: Completion of secondary school education. A post-secondary certificate in administration.
Experience: 5 years of progressively responsible work experience in the relative business stream with experience in Logistics.
Language: Fluency in both oral and written communication in English.
Systems: Experience with SAP PO Creation & Management and Vendor Management
This is a 1 Year renewable Fixed Term Contract
Net monthly salary range: R30,757 - R36,225
Benefits: 30 days Annual Leave, Pension & Medical Insurance
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS
Friday, 03 September 2021, 11:59 South African Time
This position is only open to South African Citizens OR candidates with a South African Permanent Residence Permit
Qualified female applicants are especially encouraged to apply.
Note: Never pay for any training, certificate, assessment, or testing to the recruiter.
Join our happy subscribers