Senior Chatered Secretary: Vice President Absa Bank
- To succeed in the role, you will have sound knowledge of Corporate Governance, Companies Act and relevant JSE listings and Exchange Traded Funds (ETFs) experience. Proficient at minute taking and have good writing and report writing skills
- An exciting opportunity has become available for a Senior Chartered Secretary with sound knowledge of corporate and investment banking (CIB), to join our group secretariat team in providing support to the portfolio. Complying with the provisions of the Companies Act and all the applicable regulatory requirements and best practices in the CIB sector.
- The post holder will provide strategic, governance and compliance guidance to the Boards and implement robust processes to guide the Boards in setting the strategy and effective decision-making.
The key responsibility of the role is to act as the company secretary for all of the CIB entities. The CIB portfolio consists of 10 active entities, of which, 8 are regulated (JSE and FSCA). It also includes 18 entities that are passively trading, for which secretarial services are also required on a semi-annual or annual basis. The role also has an oversight role for the CIB Nigeria operations i.e. attend the quarterly board meetings, assist with the meeting packs and provide governance support/guidance where required.
Other responsibilities include but not limited to:
- Advise Directors on the proper application of KING IV requirements and on other Corporate Governance
- Coordinate Board succession planning by ensuring that Board Succession Planning is discussed annually
- Act as the Secretary to the Boards in the portfolio and the various board committee
- Ensure that the Legal Entities and Directors Policy and Group Governance Framework are applied to all entities within the assigned portfolio
- Coordinate the preparation of the annual meeting schedules
- Act as a trusted advisor on insurance related matters and provide guidance to the boards on relevant regulatory matters
- Work closely with compliance to ensure the boards proactively and effectively comply with all relevant legislation and best practices
- In cases of resignations, ensure that the statutory team receives the letter of resignation from the particular Director and all supporting documents required to make the changes at the CIPC
- Ensure that the incoming Director completes the necessary forms (which is the Consent to Act as a Director) and the CoR39 form (which is the Register of Directors and Officers)
- Upon the exit or appointments of new directors, update the information on all company documents and advise the requisite authorities, regulators including but not limited to Prudential Authority, Financial Sector Conduct Authority, CIPC, etc.
- Coach and mentor team members when requested to do so by the line manager in order to improve their own productivity and use of the bank’s processes and systems. Coach team members on technical matters when necessary
- Support the line manager to supervise team members to ensure effective daily operations that contribute to the effective functioning of the team, alternatively contribute to the broader team
Education and Experience:
- To succeed in the role, you will have sound knowledge of Corporate Governance, Companies Act and relevant JSE listings and Exchange Traded Funds (ETFs) experience . Proficient at minute taking and have good writing and report writing skills
- Bachelor of Commerce (B.COM)
- A recognized 3 year Degree in Corporate Governance related
- CIS (Chartered Institute of Secretaries)
- Law Degree
- 5-8 years Company Secretarial experience in the corporate and investment banking industry
Bachelor`s Degrees and Advanced Diplomas: Business, Commerce and Management Studies (Required)
Absa Bank Limited is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer. In compliance with the Employment Equity Act 55 of 1998, preference will be given to suitable candidates from designated groups whose appointments will contribute towards achievement of equitable demographic representation of our workforce profile and add to the diversity of the Bank.
Absa Bank Limited reserves the right not to make an appointment to the post as advertised