Never pay for any CBT, test or assessment as part of any recruitment process. When in doubt, contact us
Santam Limited is the largest short-term insurer in South Africa, with a market share in excess of 22%, providing short-term insurance products through broker networks and direct sales channels. The company was established in 1918 and offers personal, commercial, and corporate insurance solutions. Santam is a subsidiary of Sanlam Limited and has been listed ...
We are looking for a Senior Mobile Engineer to lead the design, development and maintenance of the Android and IOS mobile apps. Your ultimate goal is to ensure we utilise the latest trends and technologies in mobile engineering to continuously improve our mobile apps. You enjoy moving fluidly between design, development, testing debugging, performance optimization, and leading complex technical projects from start to finish. You will report to the Head of Technology and work daily with a squad of designers, engineers and testers.
You will be part of an Engineering team that will be growing to 14 team members by 2024. You’ll work closely with the other parts of the business (actuarial, marketing, operations and product) and the rest of the Engineering team, to deliver on our technology goals.
The Engineering team builds and operates a modern, cloud-first digital insurance platform at the core of Santam Switch. The team owns the business layer, insurance engine and APIs that power our mobile app and partner integrations. The Engineering team has five main functional areas/disciplines:
- Platform Engineering: Builds the insurance platform at the core of Santam Switch.
- Cloud Engineering: Builds the core cloud infrastructure that underlies our platform.
- Mobile Engineering: Builds Android and IOS mobile apps using React, Swift and Kotlin.
- Quality Assurance: Responsible for quality across the entire platform.
- IT Operations: Responsible for ensuring the smooth and secure operation of IT services.
- The development philosophy
- We follow Agile software development best practices and deliver software in Sprints. We believe in an iterative, design-thinking approach to product development and delivery. We automate what we can, keep meetings to a minimum, and have a continuous focus on quality and customer-centricit
Improve the quality of our applications.
- You will own the key performance indicators of the mobile apps and drive their visibility and use to continuously improve our architecture and processes.
- This can mean: paying down technical debt, rearchitecting old design decisions, and improving performance and resilience.
Extend the applications.
- Working closely with the Product team, you will build new capabilities for the applications that empower our users.
- You will lead the mobile architecture design and decision-making for your area of applications.
Improve our team.
- You will share your experience and knowledge.
- You will improve our documentation, and document your design decisions and rationale.
- You will mentor your fellow engineers.
Our ideal candidate
- 5+ years of software development experience (e.g. Software Engineer).
- Bachelor’s Degree in a relevant field or equivalent professional experience.
- Experience with cloud services. We use Amazon Web Services for all our infrastructure and service needs so relevant experience with AWS is a bonus, but experience with any of the major cloud providers is welcome.
- Experience in Insurance or Financial Services is advantageous.
- Experience in a start-up environment is advantageous.