Where we are - A presence in two provinces The NWU is a multi-campus university with a footprint across two provinces. The Mafikeng and Potchefstroom Campuses are situated in the North-West Province and the Vaal Triangle Campus is in Gauteng. The head office, known as the Institutional Office, is in Potchefstroom, situated near the Potchefstroom Campus. W...
Read more about this company
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES: JOB DESCRIPTION
Environmental Management System:
- Develop and implement environmental management system and action plans, to ensure sustainable development and compliance
Environmental auditing and risk management: Environmental Compliance to ensure delivery of the NWU goals, objectives, and compliance to corporate and legislative requirements:
- Compile environmental audit reports as required.
- Compile environmental impact assessments as required.
- Ongoing identification and assessment of environmental impacts.
- Conduct monthly audits to ensure that environmental requirements are being adhered to.
- Inspect and monitor compliance with environmental management requirements, including approved Environmental Authorizations and Environmental Management Programs
Environmental Training and awareness programmes: In coordination with the OHS/SHE coordinator:
- Promote and raise awareness, at all levels of an the NWU, of the impact of emerging environmental aspects and impacts.
- Train staff and students at all levels on environmental issues and responsibilities.
- Participate in environmental education training development.
Environmental Reporting: Compile reports and maintain data:
- Collect and maintain data required for environmental reporting.
- Manage waste collection and sampling techniques.
- Data for reporting on water and air quality monitoring.
- Ensure accurate submission/reporting of various Environmental reports, to statutory/regulatory bodies.
- Write and compile environmental reports (lead responsibility) for various NWU Management meetings and structures.
Environmental Incident Management
- Record, investigate and report on environmental incidents internally and externally as required.
- Bachelor of Sciences (BSc Degree) at NQF Level 7 specializing in Environmental Sciences / Environmental Management is essential
- Postgraduate Diploma (NQF Level 5) in Management is essential
- Membership to SACNASP / IAIA / SAATCA is desirable
- 5 years in Environmental Management experience is essential
- 5 years in Environmental System Development and Management experience is essential
FUNCTIONAL / TECHNICAL COMPETENCIES (KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS):
- Experience in the implementation and management of environmental management systems / integrated SHE systems
- In depth knowledge of Environmental Legislation
- Knowledge of impact assessments and tools, and application thereof to evaluate risks
- Computer literacy: MS Office
- Excellent written, communication and reporting skills
- Compile SHE budgets and cost estimates
- Excellent resource allocation and time management skills
- Team leader and team player (positive social and interpersonal skills)
- Able to operate independently with delegated authorities
- Strategic thinker and planner
- Ability to work under pressure and high demand
Closing Date: 5th, July 2022