Subscribe to Job Alert
Join our happy subscribers
WHAT CAN YOU EXPECT FROM A LIFE AT AWS?
Every day will bring new and exciting challenges on the job while you:
· Learn and use groundbreaking technologies.
· Apply advanced troubleshooting techniques to provide unique solutions to our customers' individual needs.
· Interact with leading engineers around the world.
· Partner with Amazon Web Services teams to help reproduce and resolve customer issues.
· Leverage your extensive customer support experience to provide feedback to internal AWS teams on how to improve our services.
· Drive customer communication during critical events.
· Drive projects that improve support-related processes and our customers’ technical support experience.
· Write tutorials, how-to videos, and other technical articles for the developer community.
· Work on critical, highly complex customer problems that may span multiple AWS services.
WHY AWS SUPPORT?
· First and foremost this is a customer support role – in The Cloud.
· On a typical day, a Support Engineer will be primarily responsible for solving customer’s cases through a variety of customer contact channels which include telephone, email, and web/live chat. You will apply advanced troubleshooting techniques to provide tailored solutions for our customers and drive customer interactions by thoughtfully working with customers to dive deep into the root cause of an issue.
· Apart from working on a broad spectrum of technical issues, an AWS Support Engineer may also coach/mentor new hires, develop & present training, partner with development teams on complex issues or contact deflection initiatives, participate in new hiring, write tools/script to help the team, or work with leadership on process improvement and strategic initiatives.
· Career development: We promote advancement opportunities across the organization to help you meet your career goals.
· Training: We have training programs to help you develop the skills required to be successful in your role.
· We hire smart people who are keen to build a career with AWS, so we are more interested in the areas that you do know instead of those you haven’t been exposed to yet.
· Support engineers interested in travel have presented training or participated in focused summits across our sites or at specific AWS events.
· As we operate on a follow-the-sun model, with Premium Support sites located globally, working hours and days are based on customer demand and may include weekends.
If you might be keen: We have an upcoming Virtual Learning Series event hosted by our Premium Support Cloud Support Engineers in Big Data in June 2021, “Big Data Processing on AWS Elastic MapReduce (EMR) using Hadoop and Spark”. You are welcome to register for and attend the event if you would like! You can register via this link:
The Big Data role supports our services that leverage data and produce business insights, which may include using Machine Learning/Artificial Intelligence (ML/AI). Helping our customers use and integrate Big Data services in what is arguably our industry’s most exciting space. The portfolio of services covers EMR (Hadoop), DynamoDB (NoSQL), MangoDB, and Apache Cassandra.
· 2+ years experience in Apache Hadoop, Apache Spark, Apache Hive, and Presto
· 2+ years experience in DynamoDB or NoSQL technologies like MongoDB or Cassandra
· 2+ years experience with System Administration with Linux (RHEL/CentOS) including Microsoft Active Directory, and LDAP integration.
· Experience with troubleshooting Kerberos Authentication problems.
· Experience with Network troubleshooting.
· Basic understanding of Machine Learning and statistics
· Experience with Java and Python and shell scripting
· Bachelor’s degree in Information Science / Information Technology, Data Science, Computer Science, Engineering, Mathematics, Physics, or a related field OR equivalent experience in a technical position
· Advanced experience in the Hadoop Ecosystem including Apache Spark and Presto
· Advanced experience in NoSQL
· Advanced experience with blockchain technologies like Etherium
· Advanced experience in Data Lake architecture and administration
· Experience managing full application stacks from the OS up through custom applications
· Prior work experience with AWS - any or all of EC2, VPC, S3, RDS, EMR, Glue, SageMaker
· Excellent knowledge of Hadoop architecture, administration and support
· Expert understanding of distributed computing principles and their application in the cloud
· Good understanding of distributed computing environments Lead technical discussions on big data systems architecture and design
· Strong analysis and troubleshooting skills and experience
· AWS Certified Solutions Architect
· AWS certified Big Data Specialty
· Honours or Master’s degree in Information Science / Information Technology, Data Science, Computer Science, Engineering, Mathematics, Physics, or a related field OR equivalent experience in a technical position
Amazon is an equal opportunities employer, and we value your passion to discover, invent, simplify and build. We welcome applications from all members of society irrespective of age, sex, disability, sexual orientation, race, religion or belief. Amazon is strongly committed to diversity and Employment Equity within the workplace and the further diversification of ideas. In this regard, the relevant laws and principles associated with Employment Equity will be considered when appointing potential candidates. We are required by law to verify your ability to work lawfully in South Africa. Amazon requires that you submit a copy of either your identity document or your passport and any applicable work permit if you are a foreign national, along with an updated curriculum vitae.
Note: Never pay for any training, certificate, assessment, or testing to the recruiter.
Join our happy subscribers