EarthStream is a technology & engineering recruiting specialist providing talent across multiple industry sectors many of which share commonality in their technology dependence. Engineering is at the heart of what we do from software and hardware to security, electronics and infrastructure, through to industry specific engineering disciplines. We unde...
Read more about this company
- We are seeking a Control Room Operator, based in Cape Town working for a leading independent power producer operating and developing power projects in Africa.
Perform remote first-line fault finding of renewable energy (solar PV and onshore wind) asset fleet under contract with GSAMS.
- Identify faults or underperformance of equipment and initiate corrective actions to resolve it.
- Gather information and report on plant-related events.
- First level fault finding, using technical documentation and drawings, i.e. undertake investigations to find the root cause, apply corrective actions, and provide feedback.
- Use of fault-finding techniques and specialized tools, software, or techniques to identify underperformance and ensure that plant gets returned to standard levels of performance.
- Analyze, interpret, and report power quality events.
Safe remote operation of power plant equipment as set out in the relevant procedure
- Operate HV, MV, LV, and production equipment, including turbines and inverters.
- Operate auxiliary equipment that supports the production equipment.
- Setpoint and facility command control, along with the regional control center for the network operator.
Complete reports relating to compliance, plant and maintenance performance
- Complete the required compliance reporting as assigned.
- Complete power plant performance, key performance indicators (KPIs), or downtime reports timeously and accurately.
- Responsible for using performance analysis techniques to support the identification of plant performance inefficiencies.
- Responsible for data collection from the SCADA system and other database systems.
- Perform advanced data analysis on power plant performance, failure statistics, and maintenance records to support critical decision-making processes.
Dispatch on-site operations and maintenance (O&M) team to attend to outages, faults, and any warnings or events
- Create and dispatch corrective maintenance work orders (WO).
- Partake in the development of preventative maintenance plans and schedules.
- Provide planning and scheduling support to the teams on-site when delegated by the Senior Control Room Operator or line manager.
Complete any other general or administrative tasks, as assigned by the line manager
- Attend to incoming calls and escalation procedures.
- Follow all cooperative safety policies and procedures.
- Monitor and identify continuous-and focused-improvement opportunities.
- Complete any other tasks in line with the role.
Skills and Competencies
- Excellent command of English.
- Able to distinguish color and hear alarms.
- Excellent verbal communication: includes being responsive, having good listening skills, and being able to communicate appropriately with all levels of personnel.
- Effective written communication: includes writing clear, concise emails and report-writing.
- Good problem-solving capability, i.e. fault finding techniques, utilizing special tools and systems at the disposal.
- Able to manage stress and high-pressure situations.
- Able to handle multiple projects, prioritize work, and work effectively under minimal supervision.
- Good team player; able to balance team and individual responsibilities.
- The role is shift-based, including weekends and public holidays.
Experience, Knowledge, and Qualifications
The following requirements will be regarded as the minimum requirements for the candidate in the role
- National Diploma in Electrical / Mechatronic Engineering or equivalent NQF level.
- Three years’ relevant working experience, excluding in-service training.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office including Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, and Word
The following requirements will be regarded as advantageous to the candidate in the role:
- Experience in renewable energy power plant operations or field maintenance.
- Previous switching and in particular remote switching experience.
- Experience in DCS or SCADA, such as Siemens SPPA-T3000, WinCC, Wonderware InTouch or other SCADA systems.
- Knowledge of or experience in ERP/CMMS systems such as SAP, IFS, or OnKey.
- Previous knowledge of data analysis tools such as Python, R, MSSQL, MYSQL, etc.
- Previous experience working with Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) or specialist tools while troubleshooting equipment.