Requisition ID: 35302
Job Category: Engineering
With over six decades of business and technical experience in the mining, energy, and infrastructure sectors, we understand that challenges are changing rapidly in every industry. We respond quickly with solutions that are smarter, more efficient, and innovative. We draw upon our 9,000 staff with experience in over 150 countries to challenge the status quo and create positive change for our clients, our employees, and the communities we serve.
The Hatch Technologies Group is looking for a Mechanical Engineer to join the team where you will support projects globally based out of our Johannesburg office .Our Technologies team is focused on the commercialization and delivery of technologies across all three of Hatch’s sectors: Metals, Energy, Infrastructure. We’re a team of innovators and problem solvers who deliver custom and specialised engineering to deliver novel solutions and technologies.
As The Successful Candidate, You Will
- Be developing new technologies and selecting and installing equipment in greenfield projects, we help our clients to get the most from their existing assets by providing field support, rebuild repairs, and retrofits.
- Also work with our clients to optimise their existing technologies to achieve the maximise benefit.
- Apply engineering principles and perform calculations for custom mechanical equipment, including thermal analysis of the linings of pyrometallurgical vessels, and fluid flow analysis of water and air-cooled systems
- Perform detailed design of custom mechanical systems used in proprietary Hatch equipment such as smelting furnaces and related pyrometallurgical system components
- Assist the Engineering Manager/Project Manager with the delivery of project requirements as they relate to scope, cost and schedule
- Assistance on 3D model preparation as well as drawing production
- Evaluate process alternatives and/or equipment/technology selection trade-off studies, including evaluation of suitable materials of construction
- Prepare equipment specification packages and technical project deliverables, reports and presentations
- Collaborate with process, structural and electrical engineers and designers in the detailed design of custom equipment, including equipment design reviews, plant layout development and process hazard review studies
- Provide site support, including field verification during construction and vendor fabrication assistance
- Carry out assigned tasks within budget and schedule
You Bring To The Role
- Mechanical Degree from an accredited University, with 8+ years working experience
- Registration as a professional engineer
- Willingness and ability to travel to project sites including remote sites
- Experience in the mining and metals or pyrometallurgical industry
- Collaborative team player with excellent interpersonal skills
- Excellent organisational skills and attention to detail
- Demonstrated critical and creative thinking and problem solving, and brings forward solutions for our clients' toughest issues
- Experience in the use of procedures and workflows in the execution of projects
- Ability to function as a member of a multidisciplinary team and coordinate mechanical activities between disciplines
- Ability to support and manage a team of designers and/or engineers
- Ability to work without support and make sound technical choices
- Excellent written and oral communication skills with Strong customer/client focus
- Working knowledge of industry standards, regulations and codes pertinent to the mechanical engineering discipline
- Sound knowledge of 3D data centric design systems
Why join us?
- Develop innovation partnerships
- Opportunities to contribute to complex projects
- Mentorship with some of the brilliant minds and authorities in the industry
What we offer you?
- Flexible work environment.
- Long term career development
We are committed to fostering a workforce in each of our locations that reflects the diversity of the communities in which we operate. Hatch is an Equal Opportunity Employer that considers employment applicants without regard to age, race, colour, national origin, citizenship, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, disability or any other protected status. If you have any special needs requirements, please let us know. We will do our utmost to accommodate, in accordance with applicable local legislation.