About the job
Mission/ Core purpose of the Job
- To lead and oversee the strategic framework, development and execution of the data architectural capability for BankTech in order to support BankTech’s data monetization vision, ensuring alignment to business strategy, profitability and continuous improvement.
- As part of the role, the Senior Manager will also be responsible for ensuring OpCo level integration in support of BankTech’s product and credit risk requirements, standardising both the data architectural and integration methodologies deployed.
- Furthermore, contribute towards MTN’s overall strategic goals, to achieve profitable growth and to continuously improve the operations performance.
- Context (Global influences, environmental / industry demands, organizational mission etc.)
- MTN is entering a new phase in its lifecycle where operational and commercial excellence has become critical for success. The urgency for business strategy evolution, diversification and change has become more heightened amidst increased competitive intensity across all markets in which MTN operates.
The SM, Data Architecture & Integration must therefore ensure the successful delivery in context of:
- An expertise-based multicultural organisation
- A dynamic and evolving field of Financial Services / BankTech via data driven strategies
- Revolutionary workforce practices which are bringing together global labour markets
- Management of executive and local shareholder expectations across MTN and its OpCos
- Achievement of top quartile operating efficiency and effectiveness through scale and common policies and processes
- Dynamic legal and regulatory environment
- Convergence in markets and exploration of non-traditional revenue streams requiring complex interpretation and structuring
- Evolving industry sector constantly presenting new challenges and opportunities to the core businesses
- Rapid horizontal and vertical expansion of MTN, in terms of size, products, customers and geographic distribution
Key Performance Areas: Core, essential responsibilities / outputs of the position (KPA's)
The Senior Manager: Data Architecture & Integration will be accountable to achieve the following objectives:
Strategy Development and Implementation
- Support and contribute to the development of the sub-divisional strategy in line with overarching divisional goals with emphasis on client experience (internal and external) in the area of digital banking
- Ensure effective implementation of the strategy by means of providing direction, structure, frameworks, models, plans and roadmaps
- Conduct regular review of the functional strategy and roadmap to ensure its alignment with the changing dynamics of the internal and external ecosystem
- Develop & roll out data & integration capabilities in support of the BankTech strategy in the context of partner engagement, project management and OPCO implementation
- Ensure Group & OPCOs are guided and focused on implementing and driving MTN’s standardised data architecture and integration strategy to support the BankTech Product & Services strategy by providing guidance, input and leadership
- Develop and implement innovative banking and value proposition leveraging MTN’s assets, specifically focusing on data and integration standardisation in the context of supporting BankTech’s cloud solutions.
- Lead all data & integration discussion relating to the full suite of BankTech products & services that includes savings, loans and insurance.
- Ensure that MTN is enabled to generate optimal revenues via the BankTech business
- Support OpCos in adhering to, developing and executing within the defined data architectural and integration protocols as part of the go to market strategies and drive revenues and usages with regards to banking value propositions and products
- Accountable to ensure that MTN’s partners deliver the best value to MTN
- From a data & integration perspective, support OpCos in implementing new services and value proposition
- Capacity development and best practice knowledge sharing at the OpCo level
- Develop a data architectural environment which maintains a standardised implementation and OpCo integration approach and aligns to BankTech’s data monetisation strategy – both products and services.
- Provide strategic data architectural input and guidance within the holistic development of BankTech;s data monetisation strategy and approach to ensure improved business operations. Further ensuring that embedding and measurement happens across all the opco’s and is aligned to the Group-wide data monetisation strategy.
- Identify future challenges and opportunities within the function
- Define, implement, monitor, and continuously improve Group & OPCO strategic and operational plans to achieve business objectives.
- Set & Implement KPIs and provide regular performance feedback through a well-defined and implemented performance review program
- Define, implement and track relevant performance metrics and indicators, specifically where it relates to data quality and data enrichment, to drive performance within various OPCOs and at Group.
- Ensure synergy across the functional areas through effective management of inter-functional relations and activities.
- Ensure synergy across the Group functions, OPCOs and partners through effective management of inter-functional relations and activities.
Ad-hoc, operational and tactical meetings
- Set up / participate in ad hoc and operational meetings
- Participate and provide input into tactical meetings
- Report at process and functional level
- Manage and resolve escalations that have impact on critical path of service delivery
- Escalate issues that will result in significant time, scope, employee/customer or cost impacts if not resolved
- Manage and provide solutions to issues that require formal resolution
Consumer business operational
- Set up and manage project
- Review and identify key risks, issues, and dependencies and set mitigation actions
- Manage budgets
- Sign off / make decisions regarding operational changes
Consumer business tactical
- Provide input into the review of all projects initiated
- Review key risks, issues, and dependencies and set mitigation actions
- Manage budget
- Review performance against agreed KPIs and compliance to SLAs
- Create and monitor plan for continuous improvement
- Review performance of teams
- Report on a monthly basis to management relating to progress made within the sub-division and in accordance with the measurement metrics set by the organisation
- Report on an ad hoc basis on specific projects as and when necessary
- Manage sub-divisional budgets in line with business objectives
- Manage project or initiative budgets in line with business objectives
Qualitative Actuals for BankTech:
- Ensure key partners secured, value proposition ready, technical solution ready for Opportunity:
- Improve data quality, data enrichness to improve eco-system “stickiness” and customer loyalty / experience.
- Next step of financial inclusion
- Achievement of 10% of FS revenues
- Ensure MTN is offering a fully-fledged banking value propositions to its customers
- Ensure MTN is the largest provider of mobile lending and saving products in it respective markets
Job Requirements (Education, Experience and Competencies)
- Minimum of 4-year tertiary degree (Bachelor of Computer Science, Mathematics, Statistics, Data Science / Engineering / Architecture or related field)
- MBA or Masters (advantageous)
- Manager track record of 5 years or more; with at least 3 years’ experience in telecommunications, digital / Fintech environment.
- At least 5 years’ experience in building a large-scale data architectural environment in a highly data driven environment, preferably within a Financial Services / Consumer Finance concern, in a senior technical capacity
- Prior experience Financial Services preferred, with experience within the telecom industry and with Mobile Money being an added advantage
- Proficiency in building strategic data environments and working with and architecting data lakes, with embedded data quality/validation methodologies, and working with structured and unstructured data.
- Strong / proficient with applying a strategic mindset to cater for future state data requirements based on strategic consideration – both on a product and services level.
- In-depth knowledge of API’s, with a proven track records of working within a multi-site integration environment.
- Strong analytical skills with ability to automate reports using standard enterprise BI tools like Tableau, Power BI, D3, SQL Server Reporting Services
- Working knowledge in related Big Data technologies
- Highly proficient in database management systems like Postgres, Oracle, Mongo, MSSQL
- Conflict management
- Continuous improvement
- Data interpretation
- Decision making
- People management
- Strategically thinking, with ability to execute operationally
- Complete candour
- Culturally aware
- Emotional maturity (high EQ)
- Relationship building