Requisition ID: 33623
Job Category: Engineering
With over six decades of business and technical experience in the mining, energy, and infrastructure sectors, we understand that challenges are changing rapidly in every industry. We respond quickly with solutions that are smarter, more efficient, and innovative. We draw upon our 9,000 staff with experience in over 150 countries to challenge the status quo and create positive change for our clients, our employees, and the communities we serve.
Responsibilities, Experience And Qualification Requirements
The Project Involves The Following Construction And Conditions
Serve as an experienced tunnel engineer’s representative, meeting the required responsibilities, qualifications and experience, who reports to Hatch’s construction management team of senior, engineers and managers (ie. project engineer (PE), construction manager (CM) or project manager (PM)) on a tunnel construction project.
- Tunnel: The tunnel consists of a 3.5 km long, 3.0 m diameter tunnel in hard rock, located 70 m underground excavated and constructed by drill & blast and tunnel boring machine (TBM) tunnelling methods. Tunnels will be initially supported by rock dowels and steel wire mesh followed by a final lining of shotcrete.
- Shaft: The central shaft consists of a 35 m deep, 4.0 m diameter shaft sunken and constructed by drill & blast methods. Shaft will be initially supported by rock dowels and steel wire mesh followed by a final lining of shotcrete.
- Portals: Tunnel portals will be constructed into adjacent sidehills at both the entry and exit portals and on-line with the tunnel grade. Portal ground support will consist of rock dowels and tensioned rock anchors for the slopes surrounding the portal areas.
- Pipelines: Dual sanitary HDPE pipelines will be constructed in the completed tunnel and shaft.
- Ancillary Structures: Gate/valve vaults and manholes consisting of conventional reinforced concrete.
- Location: East London, South Africa or Greater Area of.
- Typical surface and underground construction site environment with safety hazards including extreme adverse weather conditions, hot and cold temperature (5°C - 30°C) atmospheric conditions, atmospheric dust, wet conditions, high noise levels, animal attack, working at heights, rockfalls, slips, trips and falls.
Responsibilities & Duties
- Adhere to safety, quality, and ethical standards in accordance with Hatch policies, standards, guides, and administration of the construction contracts in accordance with the requirements of the Conditions of Contract and supervises staff compliance.
- Collaborate with the Employer, Hatch construction management team, and the contractor to identify hazards associated with the work that may adversely affect the safety and security of the public, environment, work, human health, and the project including all associated sites, equipment and facilities.
- Review schedule updates with regard to general construction logic, potential conflicts, and activities or deliveries falling behind schedule Evaluates contractor proposals of remedial actions to correct schedule problems.
- Evaluate contractor proposals of remedial actions to correct schedule problems.
- Review and interpret construction contract documents to verify correct technical execution of the work.
- Inspect the contractor’s work for conformance with the contract requirements and use experience to proactively identify potential issues.
- Anticipate and recognize potential construction issues, such as dimensional or applicability conflicts and non-compliances, and work proactively with all parties to apply standard techniques and procedures to expedite solutions to solve the problem(s) and mitigate any negative impacts to the project.
- Provide tunnel and shaft inspection and engineering support to Hatch’s engineers, tunnel inspectors, managers and related staff.
- Employ tunnel engineering methodologies and principles to review and apply approved plans, specifications, Contract Documents, submittals, RFIs, and applicable codes and design standards.
- Inspect tunnel engineering and construction activities including Tunnel Boring Machine (TBM) Tunnelling, Drill & Blast (D&B) Tunnelling, Sequential Excavation Method (SEM) Tunnelling, initial tunnel support, ground support installation, shotcrete lining, rebar and cast- in-place concreting, grouting, and geotechnical instrumentation monitoring.
- Observe and assess effectiveness of tunnel pre-support and initial support with respect to actual ground conditions.
- Document field observations. Check and measure the performed work.
- Initiate and maintain daily inspection reports, photographs, and other project construction documentation as directed by the Hatch construction management team. Complete daily inspection reports, including photographs and design adjustment recommendations, within 24 hours.
- Monitor and report on progress of work. Maintain detailed records of contractor's performance and progress.
- Establish and maintain documentation of non-conforming work. Assist in tracking corrective measures to resolve any non-conforming work.
- Log and track all issues, proposed changes, change orders, and claims. Manages the administration of project documentation, records, and reporting on-site.
- Recommend field changes to drawings and specifications in consultation with Hatch’s engineers and managers.
- Assist with review of RFI’s, submittals, work plans, change requests, applications for payment and value engineering proposals.
- Assure that contractor's as-built records are monitored for accuracy and completeness, collected at end of the project, and forwarded to project engineer.
- Coordinate and monitor quality assurance (QA) testing and inspections for all project aspects and disciplines on-site.
- Schedule, oversee and witness QA field material testing performed by others, including testing firms and field acceptance testing.
- Coordinate geological mapping of the tunnel face and sidewalls by the contractor and the Employer’s specialty geotechnical engineering consultant.
- Verify that tests and inspections are performed, witnessed, and documented in accordance with approved procedures. Helps prepare and resolve non-compliance notices.
- Coordinate the inspections of the local, municipal, regional, and federal jurisdictions, as required.
- Monitor compliance with permit requirements and coordinate any necessary actions by the Hatch construction management staff.
- Assist in the development of project construction punch lists for substantial and final completion.
- Serve as on-site liaison to the Employer and contractor. Maintain daily contact with the Employer and contractors to discuss construction activities. Will attend construction meetings with the Employer and contractors.
- Assist with the preparation of weekly and monthly construction progress reports for Employer.
- Review, resolve inaccuracies with contractor, and recommend contractor's payment requests to the Employer.
- Other duties as assigned.
Qualifications & Requirements
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to perform the responsibilities and duties for this position as defined herein under Responsibilities & Duties.
- Ability to work underground in tunnels and shafts in the conditions as described herein under Job Summary.
- Ability to work as a team member without close supervision.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Strong leadership skills.
- Excellent English language communication skills, both written and oral (verbal).
- Analyzing CVI (Confirmation of Verbal Instruction) to identify required tunnel support and related instability and safety requirements.
- Highly-effective personal interaction (interpersonal) skills.
- Ability to maintain effective working relationships with Employer, engineers, consultants, and contractors.
- Strong problem identification and resolution skills.
- Basic knowledge of project controls and effect on time, cost, quality and communication.
- Highly functional ability to read and understand heavy civil underground construction contract drawings and specifications.
- Working knowledge of construction-related processes, tunnel industry practices, and tunnel safety requirements.
- Working knowledge of SANS Specifications.
- Comprehensive understanding of heavy civil underground construction and mining principles, materials and equipment and methods. .
- Working knowledge of South African Construction Safety Regulations and Mine Health and Safety Act.
- Working knowledge of South African Environmental Protection Regulations.
- Proficiency with PC software packages typically associated with construction management and data processing including Microsoft Office (including MS Word, MS Excel, MS Access) and preferably Primavera P6 and Primavera Expedition.
- The selected candidate must be authorized to work in the Republic of South Africa.
- Must have and maintain a valid driver's license to legally operate a motor vehicle in the Republic of South Africa.
- Ability to exercise responsible and ethical decision-making regarding company and Employer funds, resources and conduct and adhere to Hatch's Code of Conduct and related policies and procedures.
- Proven track record of upholding workplace safety and ability to abide by Hatch's health, safety and drug/alcohol and harassment policies.
- Employment of position candidates put forth for consideration by Hatch is subject to and contingent upon Employer approval.
- Five (5) or more years of cumulative progressive experience as a Tunnel Engineer’s Representative, or related occupation in heavy civil underground construction and mining engineering.
- Heavy civil underground construction and mining engineering experience shall include thorough knowledge of:
- Drill & blast tunnelling and shaft construction techniques and controlled blasting design, including burn cut and charged hole pattern design, delay timing, explosives and detonator product, charging procedures, and explosive charge weight calculations.
- TBM (main beam, single shield or double shield) tunnelling operations and performance analysis.
- Tunnel support selection, installation and testing.
- Shotcrete installation and testing.
- 10 or more years of field inspection or supervision of TBM tunnel project experience may be accepted in lieu of a Bachelor’s Degree and 5 years of experience.
- Knowledge of tunnel, shaft, slope stabilization, pipeline and utilities construction methods, materials, standards and specifications.
- Bachelor’s Degree or foreign equivalent in Civil Engineering, Construction Management, Geotechnical Engineering, Mining Engineering, Geological Engineering, or related field.
- Experience may be substituted in lieu of Bachelor’s Degree education as defined herein.
We are committed to fostering a workforce in each of our locations that reflects the diversity of the communities in which we operate. Hatch is an Equal Opportunity Employer that considers employment applicants without regard to age, race, colour, national origin, citizenship, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, disability or any other protected status. If you have any special needs requirements, please let us know. We will do our utmost to accommodate, in accordance with applicable local legislation.