The NSCF is funded by the Department of
Science and Technology, and is a distributed facility involving museums,
universities and science councils and is co-ordinated by the South
African National Biodiversity Institute (SANBI). The NSCF is offering
the following bursaries for postgraduate studies in 2017 /18 - 2018/19:
- 4 Masters bursaries with a value of R90,000 per year for a maximum of two years.
Criteria and eligibility:
- The bursaries are offered to South African citizens registering full time at any national institution in 2017/18 - 2018/19.
- Recipients of these bursaries may hold other bursaries as long as
these are below R60,000 per annum. Recipients may not hold permanent
- Recipients may already be registered for their degree, and have
started their project and in such cases the bursary will be paid on a pro rata basis.
- Successful applicants will be expected to carry out projects in
taxonomy which includes morphological and molecular approaches.
Preference will be given to applicants working on the following taxa:
terrestrial and freshwater invertebrates, especially nematodes, mites,
beetles, flies, Heteroptera, Hymenoptera, Trichoptera, Odontata
(specifically nymph identification); marine invertebrates, and marine
- Alternately, applicants could carry out projects that use collection
specimens for their project, which may include understanding
environmental change, or enhancing food security.
- Applicants are expected to have a real interest in taxonomy and / or collections and in furthering their career in this field.
- A supervisor for the project must have been identified, and a brief project proposal must have been developed.
What the bursary covers:
The bursary allocation is intended to cover living expenses only.
Project supervisors are expected to cover the running costs of projects.
The payment of registration fees through the NSCF will be negotiable.
Applicants are requested to visit the SANBI website (www.sanbi.org/jobs and opportunities) for the Application Cover Sheet which must be completed.
Applicants are also required to submit the following documents:
- Full CV
- Certified copy of ID document
- Certified copy of highest qualification
- Statement of acceptance from supervisor
- Project out-line (1-2 pages)
- Letter of motivation
Please name each document clearly and send with the cover sheet to [email protected]; Subject: “NSCF bursary application”. Emails must be 10MB.
Closing date: 17h00, 15 May 2017.
Successful applicants will be notified by 5 June 2017.
Prof Michelle Hamer
Tel.: 012 843 5017
Email: [email protected]