At Edgars we Value team Collaboration, we have the resilience to be Change owners, and we drive Creativity and Innovation as part of our daily lives. We apply Entrepreneurial spirit with a focus on the bottom line.
We live with Integrity and honesty and we enjoy Empowering each other as that is where our success lies.
We are looking for high calibre and passionate people who share these Values with us.
If that’s YOU, please send your application, in line with the requirements below:.
Purpose of the job
To assist the buyer to provide a balanced assortment of merchandise in order to achieve sales budgets, gross profit and gross profit percentage. To assist in working towards appropriate stock turn levels and increase overall market share. To provide administrative support to the merchandise department through effective order management, sample management and reporting. Own sample management as directed by buyer, support order management and assist in relationship management. May do the role of buyer in certain categories.
Financial Ratio - Merchandise
- Conduct detailed weekly analysis on business performance.
- Negotiate and confirm prices and products with suppliers in line with review promises.
- Monitor product performance indicators at chain and individual level and provide feedback to the buyer to ensure that products are aligned to budget parameters throughout the season.
- Distribute tenders to suppliers in order to compile the pricing strategy for buying plans.
- Using available systems, extract and analyse historical sales data so that previous successes are identified and communicated to the buyer; and possible recommendations are made for incorporation into forthcoming seasonal buying plans.
- Extract, Print and deliver reports to Buyer/Senior Buyer and Divisional: OCR, SMR, Daily Sales, Late Delivery, and Promise Date. Check Styles and analyse reports for Week 1-6
- Make recommendations on adjustments required.
- Raise and amend orders accordingly upon approval received from Management.
Product Portfolio and Assortment
- Prepare information on seasonal trends to be communicated to the planning team at the beginning of each season and to interpret requirements for seasonal buying plans.
- Present research data to the buyer for use in compiling range plan sheets and building assortments for seasonal buying plan. Compile colour and fabric cards for forthcoming season.
- Co-ordinate range plans with merchandise assortment plans to achieve a balanced assortment for the forthcoming season.
- Conduct comparative shopping in order to provide the buyer with information to be used in compiling the assortment and pricing strategy for buying plans.
- Provide support to the buyer on the development and implementation of action plans to align future plans with current/emerging trends (i.e. repeating good sellers and cancelling bad sellers).
Market Intelligence – Merchandise
- Regularly research and analyse relevant data to identify current and emerging trends. Liaise with relevant parties to determine if current and future plans incorporate current or changing trends.
- Monitor future plans against ongoing research results to maintain alignment with existing/emerging trends
- Develop and implement an action plan to align future plans with current/emerging trends or performance (e.g. react to size curves, colours, fabrics and silhouettes, repeat good sellers and discontinue bad sellers)
- Provide feedback to relevant parties to inform them of research results, make recommendations for actions to be taken and to inform them of actions initiated to align future plans with current/emerging trends
- Monitor competitor activities and provide detailed feedback on competitor analysis to buyer.
- Provide recommendations on possible actions resulting from competitor analysis (e.g. identify introduction of new fashion trends and implement testing of like products in own department to evaluate customer response)
- Understand, support and apply all relevant merchandise processes and procedures including weekly and monthly analysis meetings, Line Review development, range build/laydowns and MAP updates
- Prioritise own activities to ensure that work agreed to is completed within specified timeframes.
- Provide feedback to the relevant parties on the progress and/or completion of tasks as well as the status of orders captured.
- Collate and distribute competitor analysis reports to the team to make sure that all team members are informed.
- Relay information required from other parties and follow up where necessary to ensure completion of tasks and adherence to deadlines
Supplier Relationship & Networking
- Raise orders with suppliers and discuss order records with suppliers.
- Follow-up on promotional merchandise and products, as well as deliveries of products and samples with suppliers.
- Monitor supplier performance through regular evaluations of quality and commitment to deliver within stipulated frameworks and cross-check original samples when compiling fabric and colour cards to verify that final product matches original specifications
- Communicate with suppliers to exchange information and create awareness of current / forthcoming trends.
- Attend supplier previews to evaluate seasonal ranges and assist in the selections in accordance with target market requirements.
- Inform suppliers of target market and pricing structure requirements when sourcing merchandise and ensure that samples received are in accordance with specifications.
Process Improvement and Efficiency
- Implement buying processes as defined by relevant merchandising strategy. Analyze sales information over specified periods so that changes in product cycles are identified and feedback is given to the buyer for incorporation into future plans.
- Inform relevant parties of research results so that emerging trends are incorporated into all relevant buying/planning processes. Ensure that required documentation for dispatch is completed in accordance with the various dispatch requirements; ensure out of line situations are timeously reported to minimise possible disruptions.
- Develop and implement a system and working rail arrangements to facilitate easy access to samples stored in the garage area.
- Monitor safekeeping of garage samples, ensuring that the garage is locked during periods of absence from work station.
- Ensure samples are prepared according to set standards
- Manage own personal development through performance management, IDP and talent management processes. Request training and feedback on performance and strive to improve based on these interventions.
- Adhere to the Group's values and leadership principles and understand and participate in Employer of Choice strategies and initiatives.
- Take personal responsibility for all issues facing the department, work as a team and mentor /coach new employees as required.
- Communicate with your line manager regularly and make recommendations on improving efficiencies in the department.
- Analytical thinking
- Attention to detail
- Communication and Influence
- Decision making
- Negotiation skills
- Performance focus
- Planning and organizing
- Process orientation
Requirements: Qualifications /Experience
- Fashion/Merchandise / Buying and / other relevant qualifications
- Minimal 1.5 year experience
- Experience in this portfolio will be advantageous