About the job
The PCC is an independent advisory body established by the Presidency overseen by a Commission drawn from government, business, labour, NGO, community based and research constituencies. The PCC advises government and social partners on South Africa’s climate change response and the long-term transition to a climate resilient and low carbon economy and society. The PCC is committed to a just transition and an inclusive, open, and participatory approach in all its deliberations and proceedings.
A Secretariat was established to undertake research and policy work for the commission, manage its outreach and communications, and provide logistical support. To deliver this support, the Commission is recruiting the following senior management roles, reporting to the Executive Director:
The Climate Mitigation Advisor will lead the PCC’s research and policy work in climate mitigation, including planning pathways to ‘net-zero’ in priority sectors such as energy, mining, and industrial processes.
- Review SA’s annual emissions profile in terms of the national GHG Inventory report, advise on ways to improve the integrity and quality of the data in the report and on the substantive implications of the data in terms of mitigation planning and measures.
- Engage with the existing mitigation modelling work in government and the private sector, identify gaps and develop long term strategic collaboration with mitigation modelling initiatives.
- Advise on the design of a long-term mitigation modelling system and establish a mitigation modelling unit.
- Advise on the national GHG emissions trajectory, including the technical and financial feasibility and social and economic implications of proposed trajectories as per the NDC and other instruments.
- Provide advice on the tax, legislative and other regulation on emissions reductions and prepare recommendations regarding the implementation of such measures, including carbon budgeting for different sectors and sub-sectors in the economy.
- Assess the investment requirements and financial feasibility of mitigation measures and integrating these into climate finance models and work streams.
- Assess the employment and social impacts of adaptation measures and integrate these into long term employment and skills development strategies.
- Establish and manage work streams relating to energy systems, mining and industrial processes, and engage with social partners.
- Establish and manage the activities of the PCC working group on Climate Mitigation and ensure that discussions result in substantive engagement between partners and achieve effective outcomes.
- Post-graduate qualification in economics or science field related to climate mitigation
- At least 15 years related work experience, five years at a senior management level.
- Ability to manage and analyse large scale, multifaceted research, develop policy, and manage the publication production process.
- Outstanding leadership skills – ability to form and lead teams of staff and experts, be a thought leader, champion climate change issues and inspire others to action.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Track record of valuing and building strong stakeholder relations, build consensus and create momentum.
- Demonstrated self-motivation, innovation, and ability to work independently.
The PCC strives to build a diverse and inclusive organisation, and is an Affirmative Action employer.
Closing date: 15 September 2021
Contract duration: 12 months contract with the possibility of extension.