About the job
- Durban University of Technology (DUT) is located on the warm east coast of South Africa. It sprawls over seven (7) campuses in tropical and picturesque Durban, and in Pietermaritzburg, with its undulating hills that flow over from the Drakensberg Mountain.
- According to our ENVISION2030 strategy, DUT’s DNA has two strands, namely ‘people-centred and engaged’ and ‘innovative and entrepreneurial’. These are interwoven intrinsically by a number of double pairs consisting of ‘values and principles’ that bind our double-helix together. The extrinsic expression of our DNA is via The DUT-Way; which demonstrates our collective character and behaviour.
- The University’s ultimate goal is to contribute towards improving the lives and livelihoods of all its people, both internal and external. DUT consistently strives towards excellence and greatness in teaching-learning and in research-innovation; something that has been recognized recently when The Times Higher Education’s World University Rankings placed DUT within the top 500 of Universities in the world and within the top 5 universities in South Africa. The enactment of these internationally recognized strengths is demonstrated in our impactful engagement internally and externally in service of our localities, the region and the country at large.
SCHOOL OF EDUCATION
COMPUTER TECHNICIAN (SCIENCE) REF: (IC13)
- A relevant Diploma or Degree in IT or related field
- Three (3) years’ experience in IT as a Computer Technician or equivalent level
- Conversant with buying/procurement procedures
- Communication Skills – written/verbal/presentation in English
- Demonstration Skills
Summary of Duties
- Assists the Head of School in the implementation of policies, procedures and systems for effective running of laboratories.
- Ensure that the computer laboratories are maintained in a fully functional and safe condition.
- Maintain laboratory equipment, e.g. repairing computers, installing software, configuring network
- Sets up and assists academic staff and student with computer related problems when required.
- Give technical advice to students.
- Maintain a stock register to control equipment and consumable usage.
- Co-ordinate and place online requisitions for the purchase of consumables as required for all practical sessions and capital items as per DUT policy.
- Supervise experiential training through mentoring.
- Assists Head of School regarding the purchase of new equipment and formulation of departmental budgets.
- Institute laboratory staff meetings on a regular basis to ensure effective running of the laboratories.
- Good communication and laboratory management skills.
Status of Position : Permanent
Contact Person : Ms CCN Mthiyane
Appointment Type : Academic Support
Salary : R240 036 – R401 916 plus benefits
Please complete an official application for employment form and send a detailed CV and a covering letter with the exact name of the post you are applying for to: [email protected]
Application form obtainable from our website www.dut.ac.za Communication will be entered into with short- listed candidates only.
Only applications made on our application for employment form would be considered.
“While DUT strives for equal opportunities, preference will be in terms of the University’s Equity Plan, with specific consideration for Female candidates. The University reserves the right not to appoint.