- This is an exciting opportunity for a talented and energized Function Manager (Power and Energy) to join a leading infrastructure consultancy and contribute to the growth and development of a business with a reputation for technical excellence and strong client relationships.
Primary Position Purpose
This position is responsible for project acquisition (winning work), project management, financial management, delivery and technical execution of renewable energy, transmission/distribution and building services projects including the management of staff within the group to ensure full utilisation and achievement of milestones in the Western Cape.
- With a minimum of 15 years of practical experience in the Power and Energy discipline, the key responsibilities are:
- Market development and proactive approach in developing work in the Renewable Energy, Transmission & Distribution, Transport, Electrical and Building Services market and being aware of what projects are likely to come up from clients – generating repeat business.
- Developing business strategies for the function in the Western Cape in conjunction with the Functional Group’s Business Plan and objectives.
- Developing and maintaining existing key client relationships, maintaining client satisfaction.
- Submission of EOIs and Proposals in line with the Instrument of Delegation and providing input into large infrastructure pursuits as required.
- Winning and delivering projects for the function with assistance of the National Power and Energy team.
- Ensuring projects within the function are completed on time and on budget.
- Ensuring appropriate technical standards, and Quality Assurance Management System requirements are maintained on projects and proposals.
- Reviewing and approval of all functional deliverables for internal and external issue.
- Development of staff, including keeping staff informed, providing suitable training, suitable opportunities, planning career paths, maintaining professional ethics and professional standards of behavior.
- Ensuring documentation, reporting and communication is to the required quality.
- Managing or being part of a multidisciplinary team to deliver project milestones.
- Mentoring and challenging graduates. Developing career path to specifically leading to Professional Registration for staff.
- Maintaining professional development and remaining abreast of advances in chosen technical field.
- Offering clients technical innovative solutions.
- Participating as a technical resource in projects outside the region and support other regions at a management level as and when required.
Recommended Qualifications, Skills and Experience Required
- Masters in Engineering Degree – Electrical, from an accredited University
- Minimum 15 years of practical experience in the Power and Energy discipline
- Professional Engineer ECSA registration Pr Eng
- Technical leadership skills in Renewable Energy, Transmission/Distribution Systems design
- Project Management skills and experience in Renewable Energy, Transmission & Distribution and Building Services projects
- Maintaining a consistent and manageable workload
- Develop and maintain key client relationships
- Assist in development of Functional staff
- Ensuring all projects are adequately resourced in terms of capabilities and specialists
- Experience in design using appropriate software, documentation and delivery of major projects
- Experience in management of large electrical design and supervision projects involving teams of project staff
- Experience in Government standards, codes and documentation
- Knowledge of web-based project cost control and financial systems (e.g. BST)
Closing Date: Tuesday, 27 October 2020
Details of the package on offer will be shared with shortlisted candidates
SMEC is an equal opportunity employer. Diversity is a source of strength for our people, our clients, our partners and our communities.
Only candidates who meet the above minimum requirements will be considered. Correspondence will only be conducted with shortlisted candidates. Should you not hear from us within 4 weeks, please consider your application unsuccessful.