Purpose of the Position
As Admin Assistant to a Cluster the incumbent will ensure the smooth flow of work as related to administrative activities, coordinating actions with other support staff in the team and in consultation and collaboration with the Operations Officer.
Objective of the Programme and the immediate Strategic Objectives
- Country Office Support Units have been established in the organizational structure to provide support for Managers and staff to fully assume their responsibilities in the GSM environment and to ensure compliance with organizational policies, procedures, rules and regulations on all administrative and financial matters and transactions in the context of an Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) system.
Organizational context (Describe the individual role of the incumbent within the team, the guidance and supervision received and training or briefing provided to others)
- The incumbent works on the basis of general instructions, own experience and precedents, following WHO CO-specific procedures and practices, rules and regulations, to ensure smooth work flow in the assigned area of work. The incumbent is encouraged to seek guidance for unusual issues. Most of the work is controlled for correctness and appropriateness by the incumbent. Work is reviewed on an ad-hoc basis by supervisors for meeting expectations and overall quality; correspondence is signed or cleared by originator.
Specific assignments are checked by the originator and/or the Summary of Assigned duties (Describe what the incumbent has to do to achieve main objectives)
- Provide background information for appointments with official visitors and/or staff members.
- Receive visitors and telephone calls with tact and discretion, and acts according to the nature and urgency of each, including redirecting as appropriate.
- Monitor requests for goods and services, including receipt, payment and inventory requirements.
- Draft general or administrative correspondence on own initiative or on the basis of instructions;
- Finalize correspondence/reports for signature/clearance
- Verify that outgoing correspondence is presented in accordance with WHO and department styles and checking language, grammar and accuracy prior to submitting for signature and clearance
- Analyze incoming correspondence and requests in the light of background material, instructions, policies and precedents, researching, obtaining and attaching background information in anticipation of the responsible officer's needs or redirecting them as appropriate.
- Identify and highlight incoming documents and attach background information and identify areas requiring action by professional staff, drawing their attention to specific items.
- Ensure that technical reports and documents are in line with WHO standards, rules, practices and procedures, editing and correcting them as necessary prior to their submission for signature or clearance of relevant authority.
- Using appropriate tracking tools, follow up on and ensure that target dates and deadlines are met, and that correspondence and queries are responded to in a timely manner.
- Maintain an appropriate filing system for all official correspondences.
- Supports administrative preparation for meetings, seminars, workshops, including letters of invitation, costs calculation and travel requests
- Assisting with preparation of documents, dispatching of materials and liaising with participants and others involved.
- Support preparation of administrative presentations using Power-point and other software packages on own initiative or on the basis of instructions.
- Schedule periodic admin team and ad hoc meetings according to schedules and need;
- Taking and preparing minutes
- Obtain briefing and background materials for meetings, seminars, workshops etc. to be attended by the team, checking their availability and ensuring they have the appropriate briefing files and documents.
TRAVEL USING GSM/ORACLE
- To prepare requests for official WHO travel.
- Make flight and hotel reservations, prepare travel requests for official WHO travel.
- Make flight and hotel reservations, prepare travel files and deal with other related matters as requested or own initiative.
- Initiate requests for goods and services required by the supported clusters and ensuring all supporting documents are line with requirements of WHO rules and regulations.
- Follow up delivery of goods and services including submission of required technical reports for services contracts. (APW, Consultancies, TSA, SSA)
- Monitor funding proposals, grants implementation rates and reporting deadlines in accordance with donors’ specific reporting schedules and requirements.
- Monitor interventions and programmes funded by grants to ensure compliance with established WHO rules and procedures and donor requirements.
- Identify gaps in the process and recommend corrective actions.
- Update and maintain the related grant and finance tracking systems to monitor deadlines for submission of proposals and reports to donors.
- Perform other related duties as required or instructed, including providing support to other areas of work.
- For all Positions that possess Managerial/Supervisory responsibilities, an additional mandatory Management Competency is required.
Functional Knowledge and Skills
The incumbent will demonstrate mastery; actualize his knowledge in the use of modern office technology through internal courses, on the job or self-training. He / she keeps abreast of changes in procedures and practices, rules and regulations, organizational structure, in Country Office, organic group and WHO, to be able to brief and explain procedures to other members Staff
Completion of secondary school education or equivalent technical or commercial education.
Training in secretarial tasks and/or in administrative field is desirable