- WhereIsMyTransport is a globally distributed scale-up revolutionising the way public transport information can be understood and accessed in the Majority World. Using geospatial data collection, we untangle the mysteries of public transport networks - knowledge which, when shared, creates a more equitable society. Our product does something that no one has done before in the cities we operate in - that’s why we’re backed by some of the world’s most renowned mobility tech investors including Google and Toyota Tsusho.
- We’re hiring a Data Processing Manager for the EMEA to be ultimately responsible for the quality and accuracy of all of the public transport datasets which we hold for the region. They will oversee all geospatial data processing and quality assurance, and head up a growing regional team of expert data technicians. It’s an exciting role for someone looking to grow alongside us as we expand data collection operations in the coming year or two.
- Our Geospatial Data Processing Manager will need to work in a similar time zone to the regional team which they’ll be managing, so we are looking for them to be based in Southeast Asia, and a fluent English speaker.
- We’ve worked hard over the years to be the best at collecting public transport datasets in emerging markets. What sets us apart is not only the accuracy of our initial data collection but our ability to maintain these datasets, keeping up with changes in the rapidly growing public transport networks in the cities we map. This means each city dataset regularly requires fresh data processing, quality assurance, and updates and our Data Processing Manager will own these broad areas. In more detail, they will be responsible for:
- Team Management - lead and mentor a team of Data Technicians and Data Quality Specialists, making sure that their work is of the highest quality and accuracy. This includes both permanent team members and additional, temporary technical team members who you will bring on board as needed for large collection projects.
- Processing Planning - coordinate processing needs for new collection projects as well as ongoing maintenance, across the EMEA region. Work with our Head of Data Processing to prioritize and make tradeoffs where necessary, ensuring that client datasets are always delivered accurately and on time.
- Quality Control - check, edit and correct data for designated datasets, and work to address the root causes of errors over time.
- Geospatial Data Analysis - support on GIS analyses and solutions with our Geospatial Analyst.
- Data Processing Strategy - contribute to the continuous improvement of Data Processing tools and processes. Always ask how we could be doing something faster or more efficiently.
Key knowledge and skills for this role:
We’re looking for a proactive problem solver with a positive attitude and...
- Professional level experience with geospatial software (QGIS and ArcGIS).
- Experience leading and working with diverse teams: different cultural backgrounds, technical capabilities, and working with people in different functions of the business.
- As the custodian of our GTFS databases, you’ll need to have managed large, complex databases. You’ll be working with different types of datasets within the same database, and will need a good understanding of relational databases.
- At least an intermediate understanding of the use of formulas and scripts in Google Sheets/Excel to analyse, manipulate and extract data.
- Experience heading up projects - comfortable managing many moving parts including planning, people, deadlines, and processes while keeping your cool.
- Expert level experience in geospatial data verification/quality assurance - we’ll be able to count on you in delivering data that’s accurate and conforms to our high standards.
- English fluency (both written and verbal) and fluent in another predominant language in EMEA, (e.g. Afrikaans, Xhosa, Zulu).
- The ability to interpret geospatial maps and imagery.
The following will be a plus, but not a must:
- Some experience in manipulation and analysing any kind of data, using SQL.
- Familiarity with Google Earth, Google Maps, Open Street Maps.
- Experience with Google’s suite of tools (Gmail, Drive, etc)
- Working experience in different emerging markets and locations.
- Knowledge and a good understanding of the workings and operations of privately and publicly owned modes of public transport.
Additional language skills.
We'd love to hear from you!
To create inclusive products, our team must be as diverse as the public transport users in the regions where we work globally. We welcome all applications irrespective of - among the many things that make individuals unique - ethnicity, social background, religion, gender, age, disability, sexual orientation, and national origin.
Apply by sending us your CV, as well as including a short note or cover letter to tell us why you're interested in transport, or what we do!