Site Reliability Engineer (South Africa)
Member of Engineering Staff
The Oracle Cloud Infrastructure (OCI) organisation is responsible for developing key services that power Oracle's cloud solutions across all layers of the IaaS/SaaS/PaaS stack. Our primary focus areas are scale, performance and reliability.
The OCI Cape Town team, along with our sister teams across the United States, Canada and India are responsible for developing and maintaining key Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS) software that powers Oracle's cloud solutions. Our primary focus areas are scale, performance and reliability.
We are looking for team members who can operate across a wide set of services across different platforms ensuring that our sites run reliably. We are in the process of migrating customers from our legacy cloud platform to the new generation. This is a complex operation requiring deep thought on how to selectively deprecate legacy systems and replace them with newer services while avoiding any customer impact.
We can provide you with the opportunity to operate and support a suite of massive scale, integrated cloud services in a broadly distributed, multi-tenant cloud environment. OCI is committed to providing best of breed cloud products that meet the needs of our large enterprise customers who are tackling some of the world’s biggest challenges.
OCI Cape Town is currently looking for hands-on engineers. We are tackling one of the most complex problems the cloud industry is facing - enabling large enterprise customers to move to the cloud. This entails moving large amounts of data, as well as migrating configuration and identity info, over some challenging network topologies while providing a "it just works" user experience.
The support team provides an opportunity to work across multiple different cloud services to ensure that our sites run with outstanding levels of reliability while we are performing migrations of these workloads.
Join our friendly distributed team working in a collaborative, remote-first culture to support a globally impacting product. All OCI Cape Town employees work from home.
- Hands-on operational support for issues escalated to the team by the front line operations teams.
- Monitoring of operational support slack channels and health dashboards.
- Providing insightful troubleshooting and optimal solutions based on a deep understanding of the product.
- Being able to discern when to escalate to subject matter experts
- Supporting various operations teams within Oracle using Iaas in multiple cloud and engineered systems offerings.
- Designing, developing and modifying platform and tooling code, integrating, refining and optimizing processes and tooling related to automation, diagnostics, analysis, continuous deployment and reporting.
- Developing intimate knowledge of the core product by diving into the code.
- Performing root cause analysis on production incidents for correction of error purposes.
- Developing and documenting best practice system behaviour and recipes for cookbook-style documentation.
- BS in Computer Science or equivalent a plus
- Excellent Linux system administration skills and familiarity with Linux (4 years + experience)
- Demonstrable advanced coding experience with scripting languages such as Python, shell, etc
- Experience with source code version control systems such as Git
- Strong networking skills with a solid knowledge of Internet Protocols and tools
- Comfortable with continuous deployment process tools such as Hudson or Jenkins
- Experience with distributed systems that scale well
- Participated in teams that have had a collaborative approach to systems architecture as well a high bar for quality and performance
- Experience with metrics acquisition and analysis, including log processing and regular expression programming
- As part of Oracle's employment process candidates will be required to complete a pre-employment screening process, prior to an offer being made. This will involve identity and employment verification, salary verification, professional references, education verification and professional qualifications and memberships (if applicable).
Detailed Description and Job Requirements
- Design, develop, troubleshoot and debug software programs for databases, applications, tools, networks etc.
- As a member of the software engineering division, you will assist in defining and developing software for tasks associated with the developing, debugging or designing of software applications or operating systems. Provide technical leadership to other software developers. Specify, design and implement modest changes to existing software architecture to meet changing needs.
- Duties and tasks are varied and complex needing independent judgment. Fully competent in own area of expertise. May have project lead role and or supervise lower level personnel. BS or MS degree or equivalent experience relevant to functional area. 4 years of software engineering or related experience.
- As part of Oracle's employment process candidates will be required to successfully complete a pre-employment screening process. This will involve identity and employment verification, professional references, education verification and professional qualifications and memberships (if applicable).