PPS has more than 200 000 members who enjoy access to a comprehensive suite of financial and healthcare products that are specifically tailored to meet the needs of graduate professionals. PPS is the largest South African company of its kind that still embraces an ethos of mutuality, which means that it exists solely for the benefit of its members. Thus, ...
Read more about this company
Purpose of the Job:
A technical specialist role, reporting into the IT Executive: Enterprise Architecture, this role is responsible for the solutions architecture and end-to-end solutions design, balancing requirements against resource utilization and architectural factors. Enable and drive the vision that underlies the solution and the execution of that vision into solutions. This role will ensure that application software is effectively and efficiently designed, produced and tested to meet business objectives.
Areas covered include the following: data, work flow, integration, encompassing applications, hardware platforms, interfaces with peripheral systems, internal and external checks and controls, and the evaluation of 3rd party vendor solutions.
- Review, interpret and respond to detailed business requirements specifications (BRS) to ensure alignment between customer expectations, current or future ICT capability
- Define roadmap to reach target architecture and drives implementation of the technical architecture roadmap
- Use appropriate tools, including logical models of components and interfaces to contribute to the development of systems architectures in specific business or functional areas
- Supports the IT Executive: Enterprise Architecture in driving the solutions architecture and end-to-end solutions design
- Co-create IT architecture disciplines and frameworks that adaptability, scalability, availability, and re-use
- To keep up-to-date with emerging technologies and architectural approaches and promote alignment between technology and business strategy
- Within the agreed enterprise architecture, define and design technology solutions to assist the business in meeting their business objectives.
- Manage and maintain technology solutions and business continuity
- Works closely with the Development team to organise the development efforts
- Produces detailed component specifications and translate these into detailed designs for implementation using selected products.
- Within a business change programme, assists in the preparation of technical plans and cooperates with business assurance and project staff to ensure that appropriate technical resources are made available.
- Provides advice on technical aspects of system development and integration (including requests for changes, deviations from specifications, etc.) and ensures that relevant technical strategies, policies, standards and practices are applied correctly.
- Specifies and designs large or complex systems using appropriate design standards, methods and tools.
- Reviews other systems designs to ensure selection of appropriate technology
- Assesses new requirements and makes design recommendations.
- Evaluates and undertakes impact analysis on major design options and assesses and manages associated risks.
- Ensures that the system design balances functional, service quality and systems management requirements.
- Provide solutions in areas of disaster recovery, data integrity and security.
- Evaluate and recommend software technologies in these areas, evaluate alternatives and analyse problems.
- Support the creation and communication of program architecture guiding principles, strategic technology standards, frameworks, and roadmaps.
- Hands on design for a secure, efficient, and adaptable connected services model.
- Work closely with Applications Architects and Development groups to meet program. functional and non-functional requirements.
- Support design reviews, gap analysis and assessments.
- Support failure mode and performance management analysis processes.
- Influence and enable the technology environment with best practice solutions.
- Ensure that the solutions architectural capabilities are up to date and cost effective.
- Engage with business and IT leaders to ensure that architecture roadmaps continually align with business objectives.
- Collaborate with IT management to suggest and guide innovation of new solutions software and technologies aligned to best practices.
- Adhere to the architectural governance framework in order to mitigate risk and abide by requirements protocols
- Deliver software programs, applications, and third-party solutions to support the delivery of business goals within the set IT standards
- Report architectural risks and suggest alternative and solutions
- Participates in the governance process for reviewing specific solutions to assure they are properly leveraging program frameworks and standards.
Effective Communication and Stakeholder management
- Collaborates with key business stakeholders, marketing, production, and operations, sharing insights to improve multichannel experiences, product development and needs identification
- Communicate requirements of any future infrastructure solutions, in collaboration with the other IT capabilities
- Anticipates and responds appropriately to the needs, reactions and feedback of stakeholders
- Ensures that key business inhibiting capabilities are highlighted with a solution orientation approach
- Regularly communicate with stakeholders in a thorough manner using appropriate and effective communication tools
- Harnessing business improvements and optimisation to the IT business objectives
- Expresses opinions, information and key points of view clearly and assertively
- Is confident in conceptualising, building and presenting concepts and plans
- Create and sustain networks for best practices and insights across the architecture environment so that multi-disciplinary approaches are leveraged
- Provides regular information and insights to improve the architect design and software applications principles
- Bachelor degree in either Information Systems, Informatics or Computer Science or Engineering (or equivalent work experience)
- Honours or Masters in Information Systems, Informatics, Computer Science or Engineering is preferred
- TOGAF Framework or equivalent certification
- At least 5 -7 years’ experience in an IT technical specialist role
- 5 - 7 years’ experience in a current solutions architect position in a sizable organisation; preferably in banking or financial services industry preferred
- Experience creation and operations of IT solutions architecture roadmaps in a medium to large division / company.
- Proven experience in adopting architecture and governance frameworks e.g. TOGAF or Zachman Advanced experience in the design and implementation of complex computer systems
- Experience in code refactoring, design patterns, design-driven development, continuous deployment, highly scalable applications, application security.
- Experience in pair programming, continuous integration, test-driven development & incremental design.
- Project management experience
- Ability to test RSpec, JUnit or Selenium frameworks. Clear understanding and application of relational and NoSQL data stores.
Knowledge and Skills (maximum of 10):
- Sound analytical, logical reasoning and business acumen.
- Sound planning, organising and execution skills.
- Sound communication (verbal and written) in English.
- Sound knowledge of software development, with knowledge of Agile software development process.
- Ability to write architectural design documents or review design documents provided by others.
- In depth infrastructure knowledge including RESTful APIs, Single Sign On, LDAP, LAMP, Search Technologies.
- Proficiency in implementing reliable, complex, secure, high performance and scalable solutions from creation to production
- Excellent customer relations skills and ability to work with demanding customers
- Ability to draft accurate documentation that supports the project management effort and software development
- Demonstrates the ability to understand and interpret key technology platforms relative to PPS
- Knowledge of the technology elements that contribute to maturing the 4th Industrial Revolution objectives; robotics, automation, digitalisation, artificial intelligence, etc.
Competencies (maximum of 8):
- Sound problem solving and analytics skills
- Innovation orientation
- Business Acumen
- Persuading and Influencing
- Change navigation and adaptable