BRIEF OVERVIEW OF THE SPECIFIC BUSINESS UNIT:
Absa Home Loans has been on a healthy growth trajectory to reclaim its leadership position in the mortgage finance space. The analytics team, working alongside strategy, has been playing an active role in shaping the how of bringing this possibility to life.
The team is currently engaged in several initiatives in the exploratory and advanced analytics space, to leverage the data that our engineering team has worked tirelessly to store in an easier to access format – hence enabling you to do what you do best!
BRIEF OVERVIEW OF THE ROLE:
- The Analytics team has grown and stretched together with our Home Loans business as we have continued to show up in the market to house the nation!
- We are pleased to be bringing to the market this exciting role that will lead a team which will continue to work on our vast data assets to unearth insights that will play an active role in shaping the business’ strategy and tactical planning / execution.
- Essentially, we need a strong technical candidate (who speaks machine), while also wielding a distinctive aptitude in speaking human (stakeholder and team leadership). This will include developing a good understanding of how the business functions, leveraging advanced analytical techniques to solve business problems in the property space and prioritizing work for the team accordingly.
- While we have a healthy book of work and plenty of problems to intellectually challenge our newest team member, we maintain much-needed flexibility for analysts and leaders alike to take on projects that they identify in the business as well!
- Participate in the design thinking processes to determine / test hypotheses, priority questions, data challenges and related metrics to be solved for. Translate business questions to be solved into data requirements and define data solutions to deliver against these requirements.
- Query the relevant database(s) to obtain data and create fit for purpose datasets, using the relevant tools - SQL, SAS, Hadoop, then use advanced data science skills to build solutions that leverage the best suited analytical techniques. These include but are not limited to: advanced statistics, machine learning and deep learning.
- Leverage advanced analytical techniques to produce business insights and recommendations based on data analysis and modeling concluded, then use storytelling and data visualization techniques to maximize impact in the delivery of business insights and recommendation to the business community (technical and non-technical).
- Apply quality assurance frameworks to test model & analysis techniques (e.g. algorithms, models) & overall data quality
Team and Stakeholder Leadership
- Build a high performance team environment through self-directed team members that continually build towards mastery and are aligned by the team’s purpose. Implementation of pragmatic team routines to achieve this (including regular check-ins, coaching, constructive feedback etc.).
- Plan, manage and monitor the implementation of team solutions, activities and processes to deliver on approved operational plans in an effective and efficient manner.
- Conduct peer reviews within the broader analytics community and contribute to the building of an analytics team capability in the use of data solutions
- Proactively partner with the management information and business intelligence teams in applying relevant best practice to actively shape the data landscape in the business, with the aim of improving upstream and downstream data processes to support the business.
- Promote data literacy within the business stakeholder community by effectively communicating the business value of making data-led decisions, embedding practices that enable the business stakeholder community to rapidly validate learning and update assumptions as new insights emerge.
- Stay ahead of the curve on data science trends, tools and techniques to transition the team and the organization as required.
- Bachelor (Honours) degree in Statistics, Mathematics, Engineering, Computer Science or equivalent NQF level 8 qualification
- At least 8 years’ postgraduate work experience in an Analytics role
- At least 3 years’ work experience in a similar role at management level
- Expert knowledge of an advanced analytics tool: Python, R, SAS
- Expert knowledge of a data query tool: SAS, SQL, Spark
WHAT’S ON OFFER:
- Autonomy: Flexibility in the book of work where you will be encouraged to find/develop passion projects in the business, alongside the challenging assignments that the team already has on the go
- Mastery: an environment that will stretch you in bringing your advanced analytics toolkit to bear in advancing business priorities
- Purpose: in a world where assumptions about how the business operates have been upended, the team plays an active role in democratizing information and enabling the business to validate its learning
- Culture: a great environment where the team culture is in its next evolutionary step to build combination solutions that far surpass the sum of individual team member solutions
- Bachelor Honours Degree: Data Science (Required)
Absa Bank Limited is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer. In compliance with the Employment Equity Act 55 of 1998, preference will be given to suitable candidates from designated groups whose appointments will contribute towards achievement of equitable demographic representation of our workforce profile and add to the diversity of the Bank.
Absa Bank Limited reserves the right not to make an appointment to the post as advertised