Telesure Investment Holdings (Pty) Ltd (TIH) is the holding company of some of South Africas leading and innovative financial institutions. These financial institutions are licensed to provide financial products and/or services ranging from short-term, long-term and health insurance as well as a comparison and investment platforms. Our origins go back to ...
Read more about this company
About The Company
Telesure Investment Holdings (Pty) Ltd (TIH), is the holding company of some of South Africa’s leading financial service providers. Our portfolio includes shortterm insurers, a long-term insurer, health insurance as well as an insurance and personal finance comparison platform. Our origins date back to 1 June 1985, and we have since grown into a group of subsidiaries that includes some of South
Africa’s most loved and recognisable brands. We exist to continuously find better ways to give people peace of mind, whether it is to protect what they own, their loved ones or their greater ambitions and life plans. We bring customer-focused innovation and service excellence to the financial services industry. We’re an undivided team who believe in leading through technology and pushing past their
limits. TIH is owned by BHL (SA) Holdings Limited, which has a vast global footprint.
Manage a small team that is responsible for delivering Data Science related objectives in collaboration with the TIH relevant business units, using mathematical and data related methods (e.g. machine learning, statistical analysis, optimisation, etc.). Responsible for designing, implementing, maintaining, measuring the effectiveness of (e.g. ROI), and optimising models within TIH. These models should drive strategic intent and operational effectiveness.
Advanced and Predictive Analytics
- Employ machine learning techniques and build predictive, descriptive, and behavioral models to help achieve various business performance indicators and to help identify business opportunities, linking insights to actionable recommendations.
- Manage the continuous optimisation cycle of these models including implementation, automation, reporting, measuring effectiveness, considering impact on behaviours, considering impact of external factors, redesigning, etc.
- Monitor and quantify the impact of models on TIH business, its customers (e.g. customer experience)and other stakeholders.
Data and Analytics Strategy
- Plan all business and technical aspects of different data and analytics systems and platforms. Understand features and properties, ensure data integrity of new and existing tracking of these systems and platforms.
Information and Business Advice
- Provide specialist guidance on the interpretation and application of predictive analytics, resolving complex or contentious queries and issues and enabling others to take appropriate actions.
- Present and communicate models, results, etc. up to group exco level.
- Develop stakeholder engagement through identifying stakeholders, finding out their needs/issues/concerns and reacting to these to support the communication of business information and decisions.
- Design and implement Predictive or Renumeration models in consultation with stakeholders (e.g. operational or business units). Build key relationships and collaboration across the business. Assist your Data Science team colleagues across the different areas of Data Science (Data, Analytics, Business Intelligence, Business Analysis, Campaigns) with thoughtful input on methods, logic and reasoning. Equivalently and effectively leverage the assistance of your
- Data Science colleagues.
Insights and Reporting
- Contribute to the design and creation of reporting strategies and templates.
- Lead execution of complex reports, identifying and interpreting complex patterns and trends. Present, and communicate high-impact data and analytics insights and recommendations to critical internal and external stakeholders.
- Calculate the ROI of the projects and models and present to key stakeholders.
- Perform complex statistical analysis and utilize data mining, modeling, and testing techniques to enable data analysis.
- Understand the different business areas or critical business challenges/ opportunities.
Leadership and Direction
- Communicate the actions needed to implement the function's strategy and business plan within the team; explain the relationship to the broader organisation's mission, vision and values; motivate people to commit to these and to doing extraordinary things to achieve local business goals.
- Develop and propose own performance objectives; take appropriate actions to ensure achievement of agreed objectives, using the organisation's performance management systems to improve personal performance.
- Manage and report on team performance; set appropriate performance objectives for direct reports or project / account team members and hold them accountable for achieving these, taking appropriate corrective action where necessary to ensure the achievement of team / personal objectives.
- Manage key aspects of the data management system with guidance from senior colleagues. This includes being responsible for developing or operating key elements of the system.
- Review existing operations in own area of work and other business units and implement innovation processes to generate new ideas and ensure the required continuous improvement outcomes are delivered.
- Manage a portfolio of projects while reporting to senior colleagues. Deliver on project outcomes and manage timelines effectively.
Organisational Capability Building
- Use the organisation's formal development framework to identify the team's individual development needs. Plan and implement actions, including continuing professional development specified by professional or regulatory institutions, to build their professional capabilities. Provide informal training or coaching to others throughout the organisation in own area of expertise to enable others to
- improve performance and fulfill personal potential.
Personal Capability Building
- Act as subject matter expert in an area of expertise and take responsibility for personal development in areas including (but not limited to) data, modelling, programming, behavioural analytics, industry and our business through continuing professional development, attending conferences, and reading specialist media.
- General Education
- Grade 12/ SAQA Accredited Equivalent (Essential)
- 3 year degree in Information Technology / Sciences / Informatics / Applied Mathematics / Statistics / Quantitative sciences / Actuarial sciences / Data Mining / Economics (Essential);
- Master’s Degree in Information Technology / Sciences / Informatics / Applied Mathematics / Statistics / Quantitative sciences /
- Actuarial sciences / Data Mining / Economics (Advantageous); Completion of MOOC's (eg, EdX, Coursera) (Advantageous)
- 6 or more years working experience within an analytical, data science or computer science environment (Essential);
- Experience in the Financial Services Industry, Short-Term Insurance (Advantageous)
- 2 - 4 years management team lead experience of a small team 2-6 people (Essential)
SAQA Accredited Equivalent - It is the onus of the applicant to provide TIH and its subsidiaries with certified evidence that their qualification(s) meet the equivalent NQF level required for this role at time of application. As a registered Financial Service Provider, we are mandated to ensure that all our representatives are and remain fit and proper at all times. By applying for this role, you consent to having your relevant qualification and or accreditation or confirm that you are working towards meeting the competency requirements.
You further consent to the relevant information being verified.