Mastercard is dedicated to inclusive economic growth for all people across the globe. The mandate of the Humanitarian & Development team is to transform communities at the Base of the Economic Pyramid. We leverage our digital technology and innovate new business models to digitalize essential daily services – provisioning healthcare, distributing agriculture subsidies, streamlining small merchant supply chains, etc. By so doing, we go well beyond Mastercard’s traditional payments remit, and critically, increase our reach to the 1+ billion underserved consumers around the globe.
The Humanitarian & Development team sits within the Mastercard Strategic Growth group. Our team brings together Product, Platform/Operations, Market Development and Partnership capabilities, working together to accomplish the team objectives. The Humanitarian & Development team works closely with Mastercard’s regional teams and coordinates across wider Mastercard to lead innovations in digital solutions to decrease financial exclusion globally. The Vice President Market Development Southern Africa is responsible for executing the Humanitarian and Development strategy in the Southern Africa markets cluster. This is a market-facing role, requiring deep knowledge of customer needs, technical solution implementation, complex ecosystem structuring as well as strong execution abilities and cross-functional project management skills. This position reports directly to the SVP Market Development Humanitarian & Development, and is based in the Southern African region.
- The successful candidate will execute our global go-to-market strategy across his/her markets. S/he must closely collaborate with our customers, partners, and internal stakeholders to successfully sell and implement our Humanitarian & Development solutions, drive adoption and usage, and continually refine and evolve our solution set.
- S/he will prioritize commercial opportunities and maintain the pipeline, train local staff on Humanitarian & Development solutions, structure complex customer deals, and scale commercial deployments.
- S/he will also provide market insights and Voice of Customer feedback back into the global Product team to ensure that strategy and new product development are aligned with local customers’ needs.
- The individual will also be responsible for supporting relationships and revenue opportunities with international development organizations, NGOs, donors, governments to drive our business and strategy.
Executes Humanitarian & Development strategy
- Designs and executes country strategies and ecosystem operating models
- Customizes the go-to market plan and aligns with the global Humanitarian & Development team and local Market Development and Public Policy teams
- Launches new commercial deployments and maintains pipeline of opportunities
- Identifies new local partners to accelerate implementation and scale
- Provides a feedback loop into global Product team to highlight product innovation opportunities, and ensure product development is locally relevant
- Recommends and drives relevant market research where appropriate
- Acts as a thought leader for Humanitarian & Development solutions; works with Corporate Communications on any relevant PR and speaking opportunities
Provides Sales Enablement for local teams
- Owns and advances the pipeline of opportunities and reports regularly into global team
- Adapts marketing collateral for solution launches in collaboration with Marketing
- Delivers product and solution training to Business Development teams
Supports relationship management for International Development Organizations and NGOs
- Works closely with Partnerships team and with Center for Inclusive Growth to identify revenue-generating partnership opportunities
- Creates cross-functional teams where appropriate to maximize partnership opportunities, and to build new partnerships
All About You
- A keen focus on strategy development and execution, especially in the payments and product space
- Track record of successful consultative sales in a multi-country environment in the payment industry; experience in consulting preferred
- Experience with technology for the Base of the Economic Pyramid segment is strongly preferred, with experience in agriculture, micro commerce, health or education programs a plus
- Ability to develop go-to-market plans and champion innovations that drive Mastercard differentiation in the market
- Ability to win stakeholder buy-in, and manage execution against the strategy. Requires organizational resourcefulness and tact to manage multiple initiatives and cross-functional teams within a highly matrixed corporate environment across multiple cultures
- Strong analytical skills, and comfort with decision-making in ambiguous environment with limited information
- Excellent writing and presentation skills with the ability to compel and influence a variety of audiences
- Excellent communication and inter-personal skills, track record of excelling at the ‘how?’ as well as the ‘what?’, ability to map to senior officials at highest level of government
- Good team leadership skills in a virtual cross-functional team environment
- Education: Bachelor's degree required; MBA or graduate degree in STEM subjects or equivalent preferred
- Languages: English required; other languages a plus
Due to COVID-19, most of our employees are working from home. We’ve implemented a virtual hiring process and continue to interview candidates by phone or video and are onboarding new hires remotely. We value the safety of each member of our community because we know we’re all in this together.