UCT is one of the leading higher education institutions on the African continent and has a tradition of academic excellence that is respected worldwide.
Situated on spectacular Devil’s Peak, it is Africa’s oldest and foremost university. Three worldwide rankings have placed UCT among the world’s top 200 institutions, the only African university to have achieved this distinction. UCT is research-led; the premier academic meeting point between South Africa, the continent and the world, and committed to addressing the key issues of our natural world.
Taking advantage of expanding global networks and UCT’s distinct vantage point in Africa, the university is committed, through innovative research and scholarship, to grapple with the key issues of our natural and social worlds. UCT aims to produce graduates whose qualifications are internationally recognised and locally applicable, underpinned by values of engaged citizenship and social justice. UCT will promote diversity and transformation within our institution and beyond, including growing the next generation of academics.
The main purpose of this position is to provide administrative and logistical support to the strategic and support services section by providing advice and support to all international students.
The Strategic Support and Operations (SSO) section facilitates the provision of support services to international students at UCT to enhance their educational and social experience. These services include visa advice, application advice, orientation, accommodation, pre-registration processes and emergency support and are provided to prospective international full degree students; registered international full degree students; post-doctoral fellows; occasional international students, semester study abroad students and international affiliates. Where another unit within IAPO has responsibility for a particular niche group of international students (e.g. donor funded programmes), services to students are provided by that unit, in collaboration and consultation with the Support Services Section, to ensure that these services are standardized, consistent and of a quality high enough to ensure that UCT is an institution of choice for international students.
- A 3 year tertiary level qualification (NQF 6 level).
- A minimum of 3 years highly relevant work experience in a similar environment.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills coupled with sound interpersonal skills.Experience in customer service in a cross-cultural environment.
- Strong organization, planning, problem-solving, time-management and administrative skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently as well as part of a team, use initiative, and be flexible.
- The ability to work under pressure with meticulous accuracy in a deadline driven environment.
- Possess a high level of honesty and integrity in handling cash and finances.
- High level of computer literacy and proficiency in MS Word, Excel, Powerpoint as well as an understanding of IT administration; basic website maintenance; basic computer hardware setup processes.
- A willingness to respond to student emergencies after hours.
- Confidentiality and commitment appropriate to this position.
- Possess a high level of honesty and integrity in handling cash and or finances.
- In line with IAPO’s stated objectives to advance university graduates, a bachelors’ degree in a relevant discipline would be preferred.
- Proficiency in UCT student management systems (particularly PeopleSoft) and MS Dynamics (CRM).
- Understanding of tertiary degree processes.
- Understanding and knowledge of the SA Immigration Act and Regulations.
- A valid drivers’ license (code 08).
- Assist with the provision of services to all international students, including orientation, pre-registration, housing, immigration and admission advice.
- At the request of the Coordinator, act as the emergency contact for international students, following the standard operating procedures in the case of an emergency.
- Draft and disseminate international student communication and marketing materials.
- Assist in the drafting of the internal newsletter and the preparation of the annual report.
- Organise venues, catering and other resources for section events (including orientation)
- Arrange and make travel arrangements for section staff.
- Log and collate all general service calls (ICTS and maintenance).
- Act as IT liaison for IAPO and disseminate all general ICTS announcement.
- Act as content manager for the IAPO website.
- Provide support and input to the Manager SSS for strategic projects which support internationalisation and IAPO.
- Provide logistical and administrative support for special projects such as international conferences.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified? Go to University of Cape Town career website on www.staff.uct.ac.za to apply