The incumbent is responsible for the successful launch, promotion and sales of his/her specific product range to Orthopaedic Surgeons and Hospital Pharmacies. The continuing education in the correct application and usage of these products in the sales territory allocated to the incumbent is paramount. The incumbent reports to the Regional Sales Manager responsible for his/her allocated territory.
Key Performance Areas
- To attain and exceed targeted sales.
- To develop and maintain a regular calling pattern and to report accordingly.
- To ensure that all customers are fully cognisant of the product range.
- To attend theatre cases to give technical advice.
- To monitor competitor activity.
Is responsible for attaining and exceeding targeted sales for the products to be sold in her/her area. These products will be promoted and sold to the following outlet types:
- Provincial Hospitals
- Military hospitals
- Other outlets specified by his/her Manager.
Develops a routine calling pattern for all customers within own area as follows:
- Theatre operating days
- Appointments in rooms
- An appointment diary is maintained and continuously updated
A quarterly business plan to ensure coverage of territory is submitted to the Regional Sales Manager and broadly outlines an overall plan to ensure total coverage of all outlets in the forthcoming quarter, with an emphasis on objectives set out by Marketing at the beginning of each quarter.
Is responsible for ensuring that all key customers are fully cognisant of the product range, product users and correct product application
- Calling and detailing in a one-on-one environment
- In-service training sessions
- Use of audio-visual training aids, promotional literature and journal reports.
- Practical demonstrations.
- Setting up workshops for the training of staff.
- Is responsible for drawing up and maintaining details of any key customers' names, designations, personal data, as well as details of each call, i.e. date, products discussed, action points, call objectives, etc.
- Attends regular ward rounds in the major teaching hospitals to give technical advice, monitor competitive activity and obtain key call leads.
- Monitors competitive activity in the market place, submits samples, prices and literature to the relevant marketing personnel.
- Maintains constant awareness of potential new customers and uses for the product range.
- Is responsible for maintaining current product knowledge of both Smith & Nephew and competitive brands.
- Identifies various product options in conjunction with his/her Sales Manager, to ensure that maximum concentration is focused on these outlets across the portfolio.
- Monitors and controls clinical assessments of new and existing products once protocols have been approved and authorisation through the correct channels obtained, to ensure that the assessments proceed smoothly and with the objective of having these products coded by the relevant hospital or provincial administration.
- Assists with the preparation of, and attends medical congresses as may be directed by his/her Sales Manager.
- Fills out report forms, provided by the company, and submits all reports required to his/her superior, at communicated times of the month.
- Prepares a quarterly activity review and presents this in detail at each cycle meeting
Education: Minimum of Matric. A Degree in Health Science line would be an advantage.
Licenses/ Certifications: Drivers Licence
Experience: Previous Orthopaedic sales experience would be an advantage. Must have theatre experience, but adequate training in Smith & Nephew products and applications would be given.
- Good communication skills in the required languages
- Personable with mature personality
- Able to deal with medical professionals on an acceptable basis
- Sets clear and measurable goals and milestones
- Produces results which are sustainable
- Uses links in network to send information and influence key opinion formers
- Uses every available opportunity to maintain contact with customers
- Gains confidence and respect of others
- Is personable
- Demonstrates up-to-date knowledge in own area
- Translates theory into practical application.
Physical Demands: On-call, variable start and finish times, traveling on the road by car