The General Manager is responsible for driving the Data and Analytics strategy, and execution. The role strives in analysing and proposing dashboards for sustainable business growth and profitability, internal efficiencies through improved data structures, continuous data quality maintenance, data insights delivery, and efficient stakeholder management.
The role is responsible for providing overall strategy and guidance on the data management roadmap as well as securing the funding necessary to see through the department’s vision. The General Manager ensures that the Data and Analytics goals are aligned with the business’s mission, strategy, and objectives. The role is responsible for delivering Data as a Service (Daas) platform that can be deployed across Group. The General Manager needs to work with various OpCo stakeholders to help monetize data.
ExCo has mandated the establishment of a Business Intelligence Competency Centre to evolve BI practices to better serve MTN. The vision of the BICC is to create a permanent core BI organization in Group (BICC), staffed with highly skilled full-time professionals from across the enterprise. This unit will work with Tech BI and BICC teams in OpCos to leverage Group’s BI capabilities and technology in support of the strategic initiatives of the business. In doing so, the BICC aims to achieve the following:
- Standardise BI across MTN
- Enable each OpCo to provide BI competency suited to their needs
- Agility and efficiency in all BI-related activities
- Suitability and relevance of MTN-developed BI solutions, in Group and OpCos
- Identify the development of new data analytics capabilities across the business and manage on-going comprehensive data analytics.
- To provide oversight on the strategic data priorities and identify new business opportunities based on the existing data.
- Guide on Data and Analytics on which data to store, analyze, and exploit for the business’s benefit.
- Plays a leading strategic role where he defines and oversees how the business captures, maintains, and applies data and information in order to support key business processes. He establishes the strategic direction for building the business’s data management program and optimizing how the business uses data both internally and externally.
- The role will be tasked to develop, coordinate, and implement strategies that support the business’s development plans and that capture new opportunities. In this capacity,
- Acts as a thought leader defining the business’s data strategy and data roadmap.
- In addition, determines how best to leverage data assets that support the business’s strategy.
- To create and sustain a vibrant data organization, technologies, processes, and policies within the department and across the business.
- Develop a strategy for data monetization for the internal OpCos as well as external market and help improve revenue
- Provides an analytical role that defines and drives all analytics and business intelligence initiatives in the Data and Analytics department.
- Defines appropriate analytical models necessary to support use cases such as customer segmentation, among others and leverages the power of predictive insights and analytics.
- To provide stellar business performance by utilizing not only the data already available to the business, but also tapping into new and innovative sources of data. In this capacity, the will provide the data analytics infrastructure that support and achieves operational business goals and targets.
- Models and frames strategic business scenarios that which impact on critical business decisions, proving leadership with insights and reporting.
- To provide the Data and Analytics vision for business-wide data activities and champions for data ownership, standardization, accessibility, and governance as follows.
- Creates an environment that makes data and information accessible to all departments and personnel across the business.
- To manage the development and delivery of Data as a Service (DaaS) as a platform that can be instantiated across group.
- Provides regulatory guidance on how the business captures, maintains, and presents data and information on a global level in order to measure performance.
- To manage the lifecycle of data and information in order to comply with the business’s requirements.
- Manage the Data Governance (including Yello book) and Data Standards teams and maintains cross-group consensus of definitions of the Data Standards
- Should be able to attract top talent from the market to build a data centre of excellence.
- A collaborative role, to oversee cross-functional data governance while simultaneously ensuring adoption and adherence to data quality and process governance in the relevant collaborating departments.
- Promotes the use of industry leading trends and new data management technologies. He is also responsible for finding data analytic opportunities for the business and ensuring data and information compliance with the business policy and external legal requirements.
- 4 Year Degree, BSc (Eng), BSc (Comp Science) BSc (Information Systems) or BCom (Informatics) or equivalent NQF level 6 qualification
- MBA is an advantage (preferred)
- 10+ years of experience in a customer insight or analytically related role
- Experience in analytical practices and trends
- Experience in data warehousing and BI
- Knowledge of modern Big Data platforms and Open Source solutions to database, data analysis, and data management
- Deep knowledge and experience in data analytics tools (SQL, Python, SAS, etc.)
- Deep knowledge and experience in data reporting/visualization tools (Power BI, Tableau, etc.)
- Understanding of the Telecom domain and its main data sources is highly advantageou
The General Manager must be highly skilled in the design, development, and validation of descriptive, predictive, prescriptive, and applied analytics. As well as experience with driving change within large, complex businesses.
- Logical Modelling
- Telecommunications Industry
- Ambiguity in the workplace
- Complexity within the workplace
- Conflict management
- Influencing others
- Information processing
- Problem solving
- Risk management