About the job
- From its base in Johannesburg, the Regional Bureau for Southern Africa (RBJ) currently supports operations in 12 countries (Angola, the Democratic Republic of Congo, Eswatini, Lesotho, Madagascar, Malawi, Mozambique, Namibia, the Republic of Congo, Tanzania, Zambia, and Zimbabwe), reaching more than 10 million people with food assistance.
- The Communications & Reporting Unit covers a broad range of work. The consultant/officer will support all Operational Information Management and Performance Reporting activities and contribute to the establishment and presentation of a standard and consistent operating picture of WFP operations and associated results that facilitate informed and timely decision-making at all levels throughout the organisation. Taking advantage of the expertise of the unit, the consultant/officer will also explore opportunities, create and produce external products, and contribute to a strategy for reinforced and sustainable synergies for the improvement of external communication.
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES (not all-inclusive)
Under the supervision of the Regional Communications and Reports Officer, the consultant/officer will:
1. Ensure that the Regional Bureau meets corporate reporting requirements through the timely submission of internal and external reports and briefs related to all countries in the region.
2. Make sure that standard Operational Information Management & Performance Reporting procedures and templates are followed to drive the quality, consistency and standardisation of information management and performance reporting across WFP.
3. Support and guide country offices on Operational Information Management & Performance Reporting practices, ensuring that they are well-informed of corporate developments.
4. Collate relevant information from internal and external sources to facilitate and maximize the exchange of information and data flow between functional areas, to provide operational awareness and understanding of events that may have humanitarian and/or operational impact.
5. Produce and revise written material of a high quality for internal and external use.
6. Coordinate, review, revise and process the monthly external Country Briefs for internal and external distribution.
7. Design and produce thematic overviews for external use, to be used by RB management in donor / high level meetings and for other outreach opportunities.
8. Maintain a database of key data and produce regular factsheets and infographics.
9. Support the coordination of the Annual Country Reports (ACR) process in the region, including country office training and guidance, planning, preparation, review and revision according to corporate standards.
10. Produce regional snapshots based on the Annual Country Reports for external use, and to the benefit of RB management and the wider bureau.
11. Support the production of one-page infographics summarizing each country office’s Annual Country Report.
4Ps CORE ORGANISATIONAL CAPABILITIES
- Understand and communicate the Strategic Objectives: Understands WFP’s Strategic Objectives and the link to own work objectives.
- Be a force for positive change: Flexibly adapts individual contributions to accommodate changes in direction from supervisors and internal/external changes (such as evolving needs of beneficiaries, new requirements of partners).
- Make the mission inspiring to our team: Recognizes and shares with team members the ways in which individual contributions relate to WFP’s mission.
- Make our mission visible in everyday actions: Sets own goals in alignment with WFP’s overall operations, and is able to communicate this link to others.
- Look for ways to strengthen people's skills: Assesses own strengths and weaknesses to increase self-awareness, and includes these in conversations on own developmental needs.
- Create an inclusive culture: Participates in open dialogue, and values the diverse opinion of others, regardless of background, culture, experience, or country assignment.
- Be a coach & provide constructive feedback: Proactively seeks feedback and coaching to build confidence, and develop and improve individual skills.
- Create an “I will”/”We will” spirit: Participates in accomplishing team activities and goals in the face of challenging circumstances.
- Encourage innovation & creative solutions: Shows willingness to explore and experiment with new ideas and approaches in own work.
- Focus on getting results: Consistently delivers results within individual scope of work on time, on budget and without errors.
- Make commitments and make good on commitments: Commits to upholding individual accountabilities and responsibilities in the face of ever-changing country or functional priorities.
- Be Decisive: Makes rational decisions about individual activities when faced with uncertain circumstances, including in times of ambiguity regarding information or manager direction.
- Connect and share across WFP units: Seeks to understand and adapt to internal or cross-unit teams’ priorities and preferred working styles.
- Build strong external partnerships: Demonstrates ability to understand and appropriately respond to and/or escalate needs of external partners.
- Be politically agile & adaptable: Portrays an informed and professional demeanor toward internal and external partners and stakeholders.
- Be clear about the value WFP brings to partnerships: Provides operational support on analyses and assessments that quantifies and demonstrates WFP’s unique value as a partner.
- Capability NameDescription of the behaviour expected for the proficiency levelMedia and Influencer Relationship ManagementDemonstrates ability to build and sustain effective collaborative relationships with key media contacts and influencers in area of expertise to raise the profile of WFP, build relationships and further organisational aims.Media and Communication ExpertiseFacilitates open verbal or written communication with media and influencers as required (i.e. through preparation of tailored written or visual materials presentations, and official documentation) to convey tailored messages. Engages in mutually informative discussion with media and influencers.Specialised Knowledge in CommunicationsUses sound theoretical knowledge of communications concepts to generate or facilitate the generation of effective communication materials across various media. Applies this to define work plans aligned to identified areas of WFP’s communications strategy.Sociopolitical Contextual UnderstandingDemonstrates deep understanding of the multilateral/interagency environment and the dynamics in which WFP operates which influences approach to working, policy development and decision making.Communication Strategy and PlanningApplies advanced understanding of WFP communications strategy and best practice to effectively develop strategies to engage with media and other significant external stakeholders within area of responsibility. Oversees implementation, providing recommendations for improvement.
STANDARD MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
- Education: Advanced University degree in Journalism, Marketing, Communications or other relevant field, or first university degree with additional years of related work experience and/or trainings/courses
- Experience: At least 5 years of relevant post-graduate professional experience with writing, documentation, data analysis and communications and a background and interest in international humanitarian development.
- Language: Fluency in English language, French would be an asset
KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS
- Strong written and oral communication skills, including substantive analysis and report writing skills.
- Experience of graphic production from start to published product
- Specialised knowledge of information management best practices, techniques and processes with some understanding of the basic theoretical background.
- Able to supervise and support more junior and/or less experienced members of the team.
- Knowledge of, or the ability to quickly assimilate, UN/WFP specific processes and systems.
- Must work well independently and within a team structure
- Excellent working knowledge of a range of digital design and editing software for both PC and iOS
- Experience working on reports and data visualisation
- Experience and demonstrable portfolio of digital visual asset creation
- Proactive and highly organised, with strong time management and planning skills
- Able to meet tight deadlines and remain calm under pressure
This is a 11-month renewable contract
Net monthly salary range: R56,909 - R73,532
Benefits: 11 Days Annual Leave, & Medical Insurance
Contact the job poster
Job poster profile
Bongi Mazibuko 2nd
HR Business Support at World Food Programme