This dynamic position, to be based in Visa's Johannesburg office in the South Africa, requires a proactive, solution oriented, articulate, strategic thinker, who is able to operate and interact at the highest levels of Government.
Reports to the Senior Director for Government Engagement in Sub-Saharan Africa.
The Government Engagement (GE) Manager, will play a central coordination and project management role for the Visa South Africa and Southern Africa and Visa Government Engagement team. The position requires frequent travel within the region.
The position will be responsible for managing all of Visa’s interaction with key government officials, policy makers, public influencers and regulators in South Africa and Southern Africa. The GE Manager will ensure:
- Visa is well positioned to leverage potential partnerships with national government agencies particularly in the areas of financial inclusion, economic digitization, the delivery of social services, government disbursements and collection, and other potential government programs that may benefit from the application of digital payments;
- The expansion of the industry in general, and Visa in particular, is not hindered by intrusive political or regulatory intervention;
- Visa’s profile and reputation are optimized through the delivery of coordinated communications and education targeted at key central bank officials, regulators, government officials, and other policy makers
- Visa’s outreach and messaging is consistent with similar efforts in other key markets around the world
- The GE Manager will be responsible for organizing and leading team efforts on major initiatives and events, as well as designing, implementing, and sustaining group best practices utilizing the latest technology for information-sharing, documentation, and reporting.
Works very closely with country, group-level, and global colleagues including country management, Corporate Communications, Legal, Marketing, Strategy, Risk Management, Social Impact and Products departments
- Liaises closely with GE colleagues around the world to develop and refine best practices
- Works with cross divisional business teams as subject matter expert on policy and regulatory issues and government relations
- Lead the development and building of stakeholder relationships with Governments, businesses and non-governmental organizations at all levels
- Ensure that Government Engagement plans are aligned with Visa’s strategic business objectives
- Establish and maintain effective long-term relations with Governments and other external stakeholders at the appropriate levels
- Monitor the regulatory and policy management environment in Western Africa in order to make timely interventions to protect Visa’s commercial interests
- Identify opportunities and support business development programs and initiatives
- Manage day to day Government Engagement operations and represent Visa at relevant forums in various markets
- Ensure optimization of meeting targets and GE objectives by introducing best practices
- Build and maintain internal relationships and enhance an understanding of the function within the company
- Administer appropriate collection, records management, processing, filing and delivery of Visa data to the supervision authorities in accordance with the relevant local regulatory requirements
- Experience and knowledge of working in a regulated environment and experience interacting with regulators
- Experience supporting business teams with government engagement expertise to deliver on commercial objectives
- Issues management experience in developing proactive and reactive tactical programs to promote and protect company and brand reputation
- Experience in working with the supervision authorities of the regional finance industry Central Banks, Ministry of Finance, etc.
- Experience in collaborating with multiple stakeholders and driving results in multi stakeholder's environment
- Strong project management skills and experience
- Ability to work collaboratively in a team and individually with an ability to manage uncertainty
- Ability to manage work under stress and to operate collaboratively within a matrixed environment
- Excellent language skills: Fluent in English essential, in additional Portuguese would be an advantage.
- Degree level education with a minimum of 5 years of experience in the banking, financial services or technology sector
- All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.