UNISA is the only publicly funded Higher Education Institution in South Africa dedicated to distance education. In keeping with its mandate as a comprehensive, Open and Distance Learning (ODL) Institution offering a variety of academic and career-focused programmes.
Purpose of the Job:
The purpose of the position is to plan and provide strategic direction to the Institutional Research and Business Intelligence Department in accordance with relevant legislation and in alignment with the Unisa 2016-2030 strategy and Open Distance and e-Learning (ODeL) Business Model.
This position is responsible for three related disciplines: Leading the Institutional Research; Business Intelligence Reporting; and Master Data Management within the University.
- Provide input in the development of the institutional strategy, aligning the Institutional Governance with the institutional vision and strategy.
- Provide strategic advice to the Vice Principal: Strategy, Risk and Advisory Services on the
- governance framework and obligations, compliance strategies, existing and emerging risks to support strategic decision processes and critical issues response.
- Formulate the people management philosophy and employment value proposition of the
- University that will underpin all HR policies, processes and practices.
- Provide strategic leadership to the development of the department’s annual performance
- review as is required by the Department of Higher Education Training (DHET).
- Provide strategic leadership regarding all operations of the department from an overall
- perspective, which includes provision of: effective institutional research services; effective Business Intelligence and Reporting services and; effective Master Data Management services.
- Report on strategic KPI’s for portfolio’s and colleges, Council performance indicators, HEMIS and other statutory requirements to the DHET and other relevant stakeholders.
- Develop and define data governance structure and ensure accountability.
- Conduct evaluation of solutions that follow policy development, impact assessment studies based on implementation of policies and programmes and assessment of institutional effectiveness.
- Formulate strategy forecast costs, which are factored into the Institutional budgeting processes.
- Lead, mentor and empower employees and change within the department to promote high performance, optimal working environment, improve staff morale and cost effective operations.
- Guide and influence strategic leadership in embedding the values and desired culture of the Institution in line with the Transformation Charter and Unisa 2016-2030 Strategy.
- Embed sustainability through a green Institution-wide culture.
- Develop, implement, communicate and maintain governance, risk and compliance policies, processes and practices within the University in compliance with relevant legislation.
- Monitor and report on legislative and statutory compliance as defined by government and relevant professional bodies.
- Active participation in UNISA’s Council, Executive Management Committee and other
Promote sound institutional governance principles through effective planning; maintenance of operations and service standards; management of compliance and risk and participating in Institutional governance structure.
- Minimum of Master’s degree OR equivalent Higher Education qualification.
- Minimum 10 years’ relevant experience preferably in Higher Education with at least 5 years in a management role.
Knowledge, skills and capabilities should include:
- General management (including knowledge of applicable policies and procedures)
- King IV Report on corporate governance as well as knowledge of relevant legislation.
- Knowledge of DHET regulations and other regulations relevant to higher education institutions.
- Risk management; change leadership / management and leading and supervising
- Strategic thinking and achievement focussed.
- Innovation and creativity; rule orientation and problem solving.
- Analysis; conflict management; resilience; perseverance and stress management.
Method of Application
Applicants should send their Cv to email@example.com